AP Euro History
Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and wife, Jan van Eyck, 1434
Birth of Venus, Sandro Botticelli, 1485-86
Madonna and Child with a Pomegranate, Leonardo da Vinci, 1475/1480
The Creation of Adam, The Sistine Chapel, Michelangelo, 1508-1512
Analysis WorksheetHistorical Art
Artist (historical background, influences, objectives):
1. Subject:What is happening in the artwork?
Who is the intended audience?
Who or what is depicted?
Is the background significant?
2. Tone:What is the mood? How is it created?
3. Focus: What is the centre of attention in the artwork? What does it suggest or represent?
4. Historical Facts:What do we learn about the society or time period in which the piece was created?
5. Values and Ideas:Does the work reflect attitude or values of the period?