Text of MSc in Strategic Marketing Management Strategic Marketing Management... · Strategic marketing...
MSc inStrategic Marketing Management
Peter Jarnebrant!Associate Dean
• Me: • Sweden/U.S./Germany • Associate Prof since 2014 • Associate Dean since 2015 • Research: Economic Psychology/Judgment & Decision
Making… • Teaching: Consumer Behavior, Branding…
Purpose of this program
• The purpose of the program is to educate market-oriented leaders for the modern economy who through their cutting-edge research-based training will work for the best companies.
• What makes for a succesful company? • How can you get there? • How does marketing/market success translate into financial
• Specialization/Depth • Rigor
• Theory • Application
• Language • English • Speaking/Discussing/Presenting • Writing
Why BI? The numbers:
• 106 nationalities are currently represented on campus • 10 in MSc Marketing
• 21,000 students. • 1,800 international students. • 260,000 people worldwide have education from BI. • 95% of MSc Candidates are in employment within one year of
• Reputation • Accreditation
• Triple Crown—unique in Norway, rare in general (<1%) • International
• Internship/Exchange/Double Degree • Job market
• Biggest ’supplier’ of managers to the top-500 companies in Norway
• Essential to the entire functioning of the firm
• From its mission/vision • To success (eventually to the owners=the stock market)
• Everything else is a support function!
• More marketing dept power —> More financial success • (Feng et al. 2015; JM)
Why marketing? – Questions:
• What are potential customer needs? Can we learn about them? – Market research, trend analysis • Can we teach them? – Communication, market development
• Can we satisfy them? • Innovation, R&D, communication, distribution
• Who to sell to? – B2C/B2B? • Target market/segmentation
• Can we turn a profit? • Pricing/financial consequences • Competitive analysis
Why marketing? – Jobs:
• Companies need people with strong analytical skills combined with an understanding of the market/consumers
• Fun! • U.S. presidential election • Oscars • From dirt to diamonds
• Interesting jobs in interesting companies/organisations • L'Oreal, TNS Gallup, Statoil, Telenor, Consulting companies, BMW, Orkla… • Increasingly important in the start-up scene
• Contributes to the success and income of the company • Understanding • Differentiation
Why marketing? – Developments:
• Extremely exciting time in marketing • More quantitative
• Implementation is art and science • Technology
• Digital, social media, mobile marketing – earn vs capture attention • More points of contact • More data generated and stored –> More analysis needed • —> More people that understand customers, have the tools
to collect data, understand analyses, draw conclusions, and implement them needed!
What can you expect?
• Full time program—your program!• Considerably higher working load than in a bachelor program!• More/higher level of learning vs. BA!• Writing skills. Presentation skills. !
• So, English is important!• Classes, assignments, workshops!
• Mastering Excel, Qualtrics, statistical software such as JMP, SPSS, Lisrel etc.!• Closer work with faculty!
Masters level marketing at BI
• Two options:!• MSc Strategic Marketing Management!