Jan Ballet and I undertook the Elklan level 3 Speech and
language communicaIon course last year in order to
support all children with communicaIon.
We are now training staff as part of the Level 4 course and
we are aiming as a school for ‘The communicaIon friendly
As part of this course, we have trained all Teaching staff at
Raglan. We are all consistently now using the same
approach to scaffold and produce mindmaps to support
learning and communicaIon.
Mindmapping ™ is a useful revision tool for all children. However, with the new
being knowledge based and tricky concepts/vocabulary to learn using such a
simple, but effecIve strategy can help the children retain key informaIon
Ways to use for revision:
- Word classes (nouns, adjecIves, verbs, adverbs(
- Sentence types
- quesIons, statements, commands and exclamaIons – begin with how or
- Simple, compound and complex
- Science topic words – New NC focuses on learning subject related vocabulary
and spelling this accurately. Using these can support what we are doing in
class at home.
- Topic words – All classes have these on display and are used throughout their
learning journey, so using this mind map will help develop their confidence in
using these words.