ME552: Vibration and Noise
Teaching Scheme Credits Marks Distribution Total
Marks L T P C Theory Marks Practical Marks
ESE CE ESE CE
3 0 2 5 70 30 30 20 150
1 Fundamentals of vibrations:
Review of lumped parameter modeling of vibrations, vibrations of
single degree of freedom systems, free vibrations, damped
vibrations, forced vibrations, two degree of freedom systems,
transient vibrations, vibration isolation and transmissibility,
vibration absorber, non-linear stiffness.
2 Multi degree of freedom systems:
Normal mode of vibration, flexibility matrix, stiffness matrix, Eigen
values and Eigenvectors, orthogonal properties, forced vibration by
matrix inversion, modal analysis, modal damping in forced
vibration, matrix iteration, Lagranges equation.
3 Vibrations of continuous systems:
General wave equation, vibration of strings, rods, beams, effect of
rotary inertia and shear deformation.
4 Random vibrations:
Description of random process, Correlation and power spectral
5 Experimental Methods in Vibration Analysis:
Vibration instruments, Vibration exciters, measuring devices, signal
processing, vibration trouble-shooting and diagnosis, time-domain
and frequency-domain vibration analysis.
6 Fundamentals of noise:
Introduction to noise, relation between vibration and noise pollution,
vibration as noise sources, classification of analysis of machinery
7 Noise Generated by Vibrating Structures and Control:
Elementary noise radiators, noise radiation by machine, noise source
identification, sound intensity measurement, noise radiation and
transmission, design principles for noise reduction.
Total Hrs. 41
1. S. S. Rao, Mechanical Vibrations, Pearson Education. 2. S. Graham Kelly and Shashidar K.Kudari, Mechanical Vibrations, McGraw-Hill
3. Thomson W. T., Theory of Vibration with Applications, CBS Publishers & Distributors / Prentice Hall of India.
4. Rao J. S. and Gupta K., Introductory Course on Theory and Practice Mechanical Vibration, New Age International (P) Ltd.
5. Norton M. P. and Karczub D. G., Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers, Cambridge Press.
6. Pujara K., Vibration and Noise for Engineers, Dhanpat Rai & Co.