Embed Size (px)
Literacy Lead Teacher Cluster Meeting #4
To increase assessment literacy through analysing, interpreting and using student achievement information
Today’s session will include:• Defining assessment literacy• Justification of assessment tools• Implications for practice
What is assessment literacy?
What does it mean for• Leaders and teachers• Students
• Write definition-share
One Definition of Assessment
Assessment literacy is knowledge about the basic principles of sound assessment practice, including terminology, the development and
use of assessment methodologies and techniques, and familiarity with standards of
quality in assessment
• How does our statement link to NZC Vision and effective assessment?
National Standards is NOT about adding more asssessment ??*!?
As you read: think about the literacy assessment /s you are currently using at your school
• What are the current assessment practices at your school?
• Does anything need to change?• What could you remove/alter?
• After reading the article, did you find anything interesting/surprising….
• Has this article made you feel differently about assessment in any way?
• Does this information impact on the current assessment cycle in your school?
STAR Mastery Task One
Group the students in this “class”. You may use any design of ‘table’ you wish
When grouping, you may take the following into consideration:
• Stanines• Sub-test scores• The fact that this test was conducted in March
2010 (beside the multi-coloured chart)
• Typical scores for the ages of the students
STAR Mastery Task Two
• Identify the progress that needs to be made for the middle group
• What is the progress needed for a student achieving below expectation?
STAR Mastery Task Three
• What are the next learning steps for the middle group?
• Think about where you could get this information
STAR Mastery Task Four Interpretation of data
• What trends do you notice?
• How will this information impact on the reading (and learning) programme?
STAR Mastery Task Five Critically examining the data/results
Could you use the “open to learning conversation” sheet as a starting point to discuss the data/issues with a classroom teacher?
What will you intentionally do and foster to ensure that your staff becomes assessment literate?
ELEARNING BYTE and Sharing progress in our schools