Text of leading in complex & uncertain environments
1. Craig Ferguson M: 0458 974 005 E: firstname.lastname@example.org SOLUTIONS LIFE & LEADERSHIP Driftwood SOLUTIONS LIFE & LEADERSHIP Driftwood Leading in Complex & Uncertain Environments A new program designed to vigorously engage and encourage participants to assess present approaches to their internal and external VUCA work environments, and approach the future with a broader and higher frame of complex thinking, increased creativity and maximum adaptiveness.
2. If you are a middle to senior level manager (a leader of managers) you lead in what the Centre for Creative Leadership terms the middle zone. At this dynamic level of management, you are responsible for embracing organisational strategy and turn it into action and outcomes at the level where maximum movement, interaction and distraction exists. VUCA is a term coined by the U.S. Army War College in the early 1990s to describe what the world would be like after the Soviet Unions collapse: Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, and Ambiguous. Although this term was created to describe a post- war environment, similarly todays government and corporate environments exhibit the same elements and thus the leadership concepts, approaches and challenges are comparable. Whatever sector you work in, leadership is principally about the ability of one person to influence others to achieve outcomes. The skill and quality of leadership directly determines an individuals ability to positively engage and influence others to realise valued and desirable outcomes for an organisation. The Leading in Complex & Uncertain Environments program has been specifically designed to vigorously engage and encourage participants to assess present approaches to their internal and external work environments, and to approach the future with a broader and higher frame of complex thinking, increased creativity and maximum adaptiveness. Overview Program mission To broaden individuals thinking and action to effectively lead in volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous environments SOLUTIONS LIFE & LEADERSHIP Driftwood Craig Ferguson M: 0458 974 005 E: email@example.com SOLUTIONS LIFE & LEADERSHIP Driftwood SOLUTIONS LIFE & LEADERSHIP Driftwood
3. The program has three distinct core elements: 1. Understanding yourself, the VUCA environment and the principles of leadership. 2. Utilising the principles to create an environment for personal and organisational success. 3.Applying the principles in crisis circumstances. Who should attend? This program is designed for: Staff members being prepared to transition to a management position. Current managers looking to expand and enhance their effectiveness. Experienced managers preparing to move to an executive position. VUCA environment leadership challenges Managing individuals and teams in high pressure environments. Managing leader emotions and monitoring performance. Planning in rapidly changing circumstances. Communicating the situation and way forward with clarity. Synchronising functional performance to achieve unity of effort. Volatile Uncertain Complex Ambiguous SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood Craig Ferguson M: 0458 974 005 E: firstname.lastname@example.org SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood
4. Key program focus All Driftwood Life and Leadership Solutions programs focus on three fundamental key areas for leader success; Behaviour, Performance and Connection. Behaviour Leaders must constantly demonstrate exemplary behaviours and model the core values of their organisation. Performance Like a stage artist, leaders are constantly in the spotlight and being observed by their leaders, peers, followers, external organisations and the public. Connection A leader needs the skills to meaningfully connect with people at all levels within, and external to their organisation. Key benefits By the end of this program, participants will: Clearly understand their internal and external VUCA environments and how to identify opportunities for success. Have a deeper understanding of their personal strengths and required areas for improvement to enable personal growth to high performing leadership. Know where to target their valuable time and energy to succeed Understand the characteristics of adverse events and be able to lead and manage through them effectively. Understand the importance of leader behaviour, performance and connection as the foundation to their success. Establish a life balance that maximises their available time and intellectual and physical energies. SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood Craig Ferguson M: 0458 974 005 E: email@example.com SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood
5. Learning approach Our programs create a concentrated environment to maximise personal growth.We establish an environment from the program start based on respectful contribution, trust, open interaction and focused commitment. Participants will be immersed in a highly motivated environment for three days where they will interact with program facilitators, guest speakers, and fellow participants. They will realise a greater personal understanding of the skill and energy required to effectively lead people. Each day will commence with a low impact health and fitness group activity program. The program comprises: Workplace performance assessment. Ongoing personal assessments to identify strengths and specific areas for personal growth. Peer sharing to maximise real life experiences and learnings. Interactive simulations to increase leader performance. One on one coaching throughout the program to assist participant self-awareness, commitment and personal growth. SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood Craig Ferguson M: 0458 974 005 E: firstname.lastname@example.org SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood
6. Craig Ferguson has worked in a wide-ranging number of leadership positions across the Victorian government sector, particularly in emergency management. Craig has also led at the incident, regional and state levels during some of the most significant emergencies in Victorias history such as; bushfires, floods, health emergencies and storm events. Following a career as a radio broadcaster at the ABC and various Melbourne metropolitan commercial radio stations, Craig changed careers and joined the ambulance service in 1995 and worked as a paramedic in the Northern Territory and Victoria. After leaving the ambulance service he worked with the Victoria State Emergency Service, the Department of Sustainability and Environment and the Office of the Emergency Services Commissioner within the Department of Justice. He joined the Department of Health and Human Services Emergency Management Branch in 2008, and then moved to the CFA as Manager Operational Training Delivery in 2012. Craig has also been a CFA volunteer since 1987. Craig has created and facilitated crisis leadership programs for senior executives within the Victorian government and non-government sectors. In 2013 he was awarded the CFAs Commendation for Service for vision and leadership in the development of leaders across the Victorian emergency management sector. In 2015 Craig established Driftwood LifeLeadership Solutions with its main office and programs being conducted from the beachside town of Sandy Point in South Gippsland, Victoria. Craig is a regular keynote speaker and facilitator on leadership in the crisis setting. His ongoing research and analysis of leadership within the organisational and crisis context, and his personal experience in crisis leadership roles enable him to speak with broad insight and authority on this specialised topic. Dudley McArdle served for 28 years as an officer in the Royal Australian Air Force. Following this service he held numerous executive appointments within the Australian emergency management sector. First as Director of the Australian Emergency Management Institute and a Director of Emergency Management Australia. He was then appointed Director of Emergency Management for the Victorian Departments of Health and Human Services. In 2007 he moved to Geneva joining the United Nations in the Health Action in Crises Cluster in the World Health Organisation. During this time he participated in a number of international humanitarian field missions including: a multinational mission to review recovery arrangements following the Gujarat, India earthquake; managed the Australian medical team in Indonesia post-tsunami; led a multiagency team assessing the health response to Cyclone Nargis, Myanmar and twice led multiagency teams assessing the health systems response to events in the occupied Palestinian territories (Gaza). Since 2009 Dudley has worked at Monash University as an Emergency Management Policy Advisor in addition to managing his own consultancy business. Program leader Facilitator Credentials Associate Diploma Health Science (Paramedic) Monash University. Diploma of Management RMIT Melbourne. Advanced Diploma Public Safety (Emergency Management) Australian School of Emergency Management. Masters of Philosophy (Disaster Management) Monash University (current). Diploma of Counselling Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors (current). SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood Craig Ferguson M: 0458 974 005 E: email@example.com SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood SOLUTIONS LIFELEADERSHIP Driftwood
7. The Leading in ComplexUncertain Environments program commences at 1.00pm on Tuesday afternoon and concludes at 1.00pm Friday afternoon. This is a fully residential program and participants must remain at the program for the entire duration. Each day begins with a light invigorating group exercise walk. The program is conducted at Sandy Point which is a small township in South Gippsland near Wilsons Promontory.Thi