Name: ________________________________________ Class: ____________
Poetry Unit 8th Grade Regular/Honors English
Mr. Parker Kinard CKMS
1. I will be able to comprehend the domain vocabulary for the Poetry Unit. (These words are on the front board of the classroom).
2. I will be able to find the distinction between rhythm and meter.
3. I will be able to write a Sonnet (which includes a visual and is typed and printed). (Formative)
4. I will be able to TP-CASTT a poem from this packet (Formative).
5. I will be able to TP-CASTT a poem from this packet (Summative).
6. I will be able to utilize all aspects of the TP-CASTT reading strategy in order to explicate a poem.
Table of Contents:
1. Sonnet Rubric
2. Guided Notes Sonnets
3. Iambic Pentameter Chart for an Elizabethan Sonnet
4.-7. PowerPoint for Sonnet History/Rhyme Scheme
8. TP-CASTT Rubric
9. TP-CASTT Definitions/Usage
10. Blank TP-CASTT Form (a Word .docx of this is available on the website for you)
11. Chicago by Carl Sandburg
12. Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas
13. Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley
14. Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
15. The Lake Isle of Innisfree by W. B. Yeats
16. The Rose That Grew From Concrete by 2Pac Shakur
17.-18. Theme for English B by Langston Hughes
19. Valentine for Ernest Mann by Naomi Shihab Nye
20. We Real Cool by Gwendolyn Brooks
21. Winter by Tori Amos
22. The Clod and the Pebble and A Poison Tree by William Blake
23. Apparently with No Surprise and I Dwell in Possibility by Emily Dickinson
Tasks (Some of these will be assigned in Google Classroom):
_____ 1. Notes and domain vocabulary are maintained in my ISN. (Open note quiz can happen at any time.)
_____ 2. One formative TP-CASTT
_____ 3. One typed and printed sonnet (with a visual)
_____ 4. One summative TP-CASTT
_____ 5. (HONORS ONLY): Read every poem in this packet, whether we discuss it in class or not.
_____ 6. (HONORS ONLY): Bring in song lyrics (typed) without the name of the song or the artist. Make sure the lyrics are school-appropriate. If you need to delete some words in order to so, that is all right.