INTERNAL QUALITY ASSURANCE CELL
2009 - 2010
DR. SIVANTHI ADITANAR COLLEGE
(Accredited with ‘B’ Grade by NAAC in 2008)
THE ANNUAL QUALITY ASSURANCE REPORT (AQAR)
OF THE IQAC
Name of the Institution : Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Education, Tiruchendur
Name of the Head of the Institution : Dr. P. SWAMYDHAS
Ph.No. Office : 04639 – 242181
Residence : 04639 – 243250
Mobile : 9486381123
email : [email protected]
Name of the IQAC Co-ordinator : Mr. D. SIVAKUMAR
Ph. No. Office : 04639 – 242181
Residence (Mobile) : 9787069797
Mobile : 9524308011
email : [email protected]
INTERNAL QUALITY ASSURANCE CELL (IQAC)
ANNUAL REPORT 2009-10
The IQAC of our college has been constituted as recommended by the
NAAC. The IQAC undertakes measures to maintain quality in all institutional
endeavours. The guidelines suggested by NAAC were taken in to consideration
while constituting the committee. Various qualitative measures initiated by the
college during the last academic year are given in a brief manner. Each activity
with tangible results is given in a nutshell. As quality maintenance is a continual
process, it is hoped these measures will strengthen it in a progressive manner.
COMPOSITION OF THE IQAC
The IQAC was constituted in our institution under the chairmanship of
the head of the institution. The composition of the IQAC is as follows.
Dr. P. Swamydhas,
Thiru. K. Thandeswaran,
1. Mr. R. Hariharan
2. Mr. R. Arumugarajan
3. Mrs. Saroja Jaculine
4. Mrs. D. Geetha
5. Mrs. D. Hallen
6. Mr. K. Thiyagu
7. Mrs. A. Krishna Rathi
8. Mrs. T. Uma
9. Mrs. T. Narayani
10. Mrs. K. Amirtha Gowri
11. Mr. K. Natarajan
12. Mrs. A. Christy Ananthi Hemalatha
i) Thiru. R. Krishna Kanthan, Chief Executive Office, Aditanar Educational Institution, Tiruchendur.
ii) Dr. S. Nagarajan, Retd. Professor Department of English, Aditanar College of Arts and Science, Veerapandianpatnam.
iii) Mr. G. Ganesan, Headmaster, K.A. Higher Secondary School, Arumuganeri.
iv) Mr. D. Sivakumar, Asst. Professor, Co-ordinator of the IQAC.
1. Activities based on the aim and objectives of the Institution: * As we aim at making our students technophilic, web based learning-teaching
has been integrated into our curricular activities. Many students have
downloaded and developed web resources before their internship and used
them effectively during their practice teaching at various schools.
* Sivanthi FM, a Community Radio Service run by our management. The B.Ed.
and M.Ed. students participated in various programmes.
2. New Academic Programmes initiated (UG and PG) We have applied to the Tamil Nadu Teacher Education University to
start M.Phil. programme in Education.
3. Innovations in curricular design and transaction All the teacher education colleges comes under the purview of Tamil
Nadu Teacher Education University, Chennai. The University decides the
curriculum and transaction. From the university curriculum we choose innovative
subjects like computer education, guidance and counselling, environmental
education, physical and health education as electives, since these subjects are the
most needful for the student teachers.
4. Inter-disciplinary programmes started In view of importing value education to prospective teachers we conduct
certificate and Diploma Courses in Gandhian Thought and Yoga.
5. Examination reforms implemented Though we are constrained to follow the University pattern and norms
in examination, our internal assessment has been suitably revamped. Viva-voce and
miniatured practice teaching have been included for internal assessment. This
complements the regular internal assessment in written mode.
6. Candidates qualified NET/SLET/GATE etc. The following staff members are qualified for NET/SLET exam.
1. B. Manohari - NET 2009.
2. D. Grace Rejulabai - NET 2008.
7. Initiative towards faculty development programme 1. 4 and 5th March, 2009 : Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in Mathematics has gone to
attend UGC-sponsored National Seminar on “Techno-Pedagogy for College
Teachers” and presented a paper on “U-learning environment ( = e-learning
+ m-learning) organised by St. Xavier’s College of Education, Palayamkottai.
2. 4 and 5th March, 2009 : Mrs. T. Uma, Lecturer in Education has gone to
attend a National Seminar on “Hypermedia in Teaching and Research” at St.
Xavier’s College of Education, Palayamkottai.
3. 5 and 6th March, 2009 : Mr. D. Sivakumar, Lecturer in Psychology, presented
a paper entitled “ A Study of Media Awareness towards Teaching Profession
among Secondary Grade Teacher Trainees” organised by Alagappa
4. 6 & 7th March, 2009 : Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in Mathetmatics has gone to
attend a UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Enhancing Quality in Teacher
Education Through Research” and presented a paper on “Attitude towards e-
learning among P.G. Students” organised by Department of Education,
Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
5. Mrs. K. Amirthagowri, Librarian and Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in
Mathematics published an article in February 2009 issue of “EDUTRACKS”
titled “Mobile learning is Future Learning”.
6. 6 & 7th March, 2009 : Mrs. T. Uma, Lecturer in Education has gone to attend
a National Seminar on “Enhancing Quality in Teacher Education Through
Research” at Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
7. 28 and 29th March, 2009 : Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in Mathematics has gone
to attend UGC sponsored Two Day National Conference on “Significance of
Distance Education in Enhancing the Enrollment in Higher Education” and
presented a paper on “M-Learning – A New Phase of Distance Education”
organised by Department of Education, Bharathidasan University,
8. 1 & 2nd April, 2009 : Mrs. T. Uma, Lecturer in Education, had gone to attend
a National Seminar on “Impact of Brain Dominance and Cognitive Self-
Management on Leraning” at St. Xavier’s College of Education,
9. 1 & 2nd April, 2009 : Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in Mathematics, had gone to
attend a National Seminar on “Impact of Brain Dominance and Cognitive
Self-Management on Leraning” at St. Xavier’s College of Education,
Palayamkottai and presented a paper on “Impact on Blended Learning in
Teaching Learning Process” organised by St. Xavier’s College of Education,
10. 3 and 4th April, 2009 : Mr. D. Sivakumar, Lecturer in Psychology, presented a
paper entitled, “Study Skills for Learners” held at V.O.C. College of
11. 10 and 11th April, 2009: Mrs. T. Uma, Lecturer in Education has gone to
attend a National Seminar on “Man’s Place in Nature” at St. Ignatius College
of Education, Palayamkottai.
12. 18.04.2009 : Mr. D. Sivakumar, Lecturer in Psychology, presented a paper
entitled, “CAI Application in Teacher Education” held at Pon Jesly College
of Education, Nagercoil.
13. 20 and 21st April, 2009: Mr. D. Sivakumar, Lecturer in Psychology, presented
a paper entitled “Need and Relevance in Teacher Education” held at St.
Mary’s College, Thoothukudi.
14. 05.06.2009 : Mrs. T. Uma, Lecturer in Education has gone to attend a
National Seminar on “Linguistic Development” at St. Ignatius College of
15. 5th and 6th June, 2009 : Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in Mathematics, presented a
paper entitled, “Is Value Education Necessary” in UGC sponsored National
Seminar on “Heart of Education is Education of the Heart, through the Heart,
for the Heart” organised by St. Ignatius College of Education, Palayamkottai.
16. 24 and 25th September, 2009 : Mr. K. Thiyagu, Lecturer in Mathematics and
Mr. D. Sivakumar, Lecturer in Psychology, had attended the National
Workshop on “Research Methodology for Teacher Scholars” held at the UGC
Academic Staff College, Puducherry.
17. 14.10.2009 : Computer Orientation on “Microsoft Power Point” was given to
our faculty members.
18. 29.01.2010 : Mrs. T. Uma and Mr. D. Sivakumar had gone for the One day
workshop on “Ascidions of Indian Water” conducted at Govindammal
Aditanar College for Women, Tiruchendur.
19. 29.01.2010 : Mrs. A. Christy Ananthi Hema Latha, Lecturer in Physical
Education participated in the U.G.C. sponsored National Seminar on
“Practical Approaches and Applications in Sports Medicine” conducted at
M.D.T. Hindu College, Tirunelveli.
20. On 19th and 20th of February, 2010, Mrs. D. Geetha, Lecturer in Education
participated and presented a paper entitled “Integrating ICT in Teacher
Education in India : Problems & Strategies” on a National Conference
conducted at V.O.C. College of Education, Thoothukudi.
21. 20th March 2010: Mrs. K. Amirthagowri, Librarian, participated in the State
Level One Day Seminar o “Re-defining the Library for the Digital Age”
organised by Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Engineering, technical
collaboration with SALIS.
8. Total number of seminars/workshops conducted (i) On 13.02.2009 a guest lecture on “Education” was given by
Prof. A. Chockanathan, Department of Social Work, Ramakrishna Mission
Vidyalaya College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore.
(ii) On 26.02.2009, Headmaster’s Seminar for Headmaster in High and Higher
Secondary School, Thoothukudi Educational District was conducted. The
Chief guest was Thiru. P. Bright Xavier, Chief Educational Officer,
(iii) On 12.03.2009 Aids Awareness Programme was conducted. The Chief guest
was Thiru. N. Manikandan, District Manager, Red Ribbon Club.
(iv) On 20.03.2009 First Aid Course was conducted by Dr. A.A. Achuthan,
Chairman of St. John Ambulance, Thoothukudi.
(v) On 13.11.2009 Thoothukudi Educational District Headmaster’s Seminar was
conducted in our college. 91 Headmasters attended the seminar. Thiru. P.
Bright Xavier, Chief Educational Officer, Thoothukudi was the chief guest.
(vi) On 07.01.2010, a guest lecture on “Research Methodology” was delivered by
Dr. P. Anna Raja, Researcher Co-ordinator and Dean of St. Xavier’s College
of Education, Palayamkottai.
(vii) On 26.03.2010: One day State Level seminar on “e-learning : The next
Generation of learning in Teacher Education” was organised by our
State Level Seminar on 26.03.2010
9. Research Projects a) Newly implemented : Nil
b) Completed : Nil
10. Patents generated, if any : Nil
11. New Collaborative Research Programmes : Nil.
12. Research grants received from various agencies : Nil.
13. Details of research scholars: The following faculty members have successfully guided research
scholars from various Universities for the M.Phil. degree course.
1. Dr. P. Swamy Dhas – 20 scholars
2. Mr.R.Arumugarajan – 15 scholars
4. Mr. D. Sivakumar - 12 scholars
14. Honours/Awards to the faculty Mrs. N. Theresita Shanthi, Lecturer in Education, has completed her
Ph.D. on the academic year 2009-2010 in her topic “Crystal Growth Studies” and
received as Doctorate Degree from Manonmaniam Sundaranar University,
15. Honours/Awards to the faculty : Nil.
16. Internal resources generated : Nil
17. Details of departments getting SAP, COSIST/DST. FIRST etc
assistance/ recognition : Nil
18. Community Services
Community Awareness Programme
Community awareness is given due importance in our curricular
Aids Awareness Programme
To make the community aware of the killer disease “AIDS”, an
awareness programme on “AIDS” was conducted in our college under the
presidentship of Dr. C. Vetrivel, M.B.; B.S., D.Ch., Saraswathi Nursing Home,
Blood Donation Camp
On 01.04.2010, Medical College, Thoothukudi and Government
Primary Health Centre, Kayamozhi conducted Blood Donation Camp in our
college. 40 students from Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Physical Education and
12 students from Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Education donated blood.
Through this camp we encouraged our students to donate blood as it is a life saving
measure and a gesture of goodwill towards the local community.
Red Ribbon Club
We are happy to announce the Red Ribbon Club, Youth Red Cross
Society functioning in our college very effectively.
To create an awareness on the environment our Enviro Club planted
around 20 trees within our campus during the current academic year 2009-2010.
The Career Guidance given by the Enviro-Club Members
Citizenship Training Camp (14th to 18th December, 2009)
It is organised as a part of our curricular programme. Various
programmes such as awareness program on human rights, health education and
first aid training, fire & safety management, psychiatric training on emotional
intelligence, emphasizing empathy, etc. were all conducted by Mr. D. Amalraj,
Advocate, Tiruchendur, Mr. D. Vinoth Kumar, Lecturer in Physical Education,
Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Physical Education, Tiruchendur, Fire Service
Department, Thoothukudi and Dr. S. Vijayarangan, Psychiatrist, Thoothukudi
Safety Education Programme
Fire and Safety rules and regulations given by Mr. A. Dhanapaul
(Fire Station Master) in the Citizenship Training Camp
Visiting Mentally Challenged Institution
Our student-trainees visited the Mentally Retarded Institution and
Orphanage, Adikkalapuram and interacted with abandoned children and adults.
17th December, 2009 the student trainees were taken for community
work to Maveeran Nagar that faced great disaster by the Killer waver. The students
performed various activities like planting trees, teaching health & hygiene to small
children and cleaning he environment etc.
Community Work at Tsunami Nagar on 17.12.2009
19. Newly recruited Teachers and Office Staff The following members of the faculty were recruited during the
academic year 2009-2010.
1. Mrs. T. Narayani, Lecturer in Physical Science.
2. Mrs. T. Uma, Lecturer in Education
3. Mrs. D. Hallen, Lecturer in English
Office staff Members:
1. Mrs. R. Uma Saraswathi, Laboratory Assistant
2. Miss. R. Lovishal, Library Assistant.
20. Teaching – Non-teaching staff ratio Teaching and Non teaching staff ratio is 14 : 10.
21. Improvements in the library services The following are the improvements in the library services in this
academic year 2009-2010.
1. Fund allotted by the management is Rs.65000/-
2. Addition of 100 volumes and the titles are 100.
3. Addition of one General Knowledge, monthly magazine.
4. In this academic year the library service is improved in issuing three books to
the B.Ed. and M.Ed. Students.
5. The library service is improved in issuing books to the students during
6. Barcoding the library books is being started.
7. Collected 7 M.Ed theses.
8. Library committee is formed for this academic year.
9. Library hour is conducted from 3.30 p.m. – 4.30 p.m. for the B.Ed. (one
batch) and also M.Ed.
Library Committee (2009-2010)
22. New books/journals subscribed and their cost: 2009-2010 Book purchased - 100
Cost of the books - Rs. 36411.00
New Magazine - 1 General Knowledge Refresher
Annual subscription - Rs.150/-
23. Courses in which student assessment of teachers is introduced
and the action taken on student feedback In the end of every academic year feedback forms are distributed to the
teacher trainees and they give their feed back on teachers communication skill,
ability to integrate syllabus with environment, accessibility of the teacher in and
out of the class and classroom management.
The feedback received from the student teachers is analysed in the staff
meeting held at the end of the academic year. In the beginning of the next academic
year, curricular and co-curricular activities are planned and the academic work is
planned among the teacher educators and if necessary, modification is brought in.
24. Unit cost of education The unit cost of our institution is around Rs.6170 per student for the
academic year 2009-2010.
25. Computerization of administration in the process of
admissions, examination, results and issue of certificates * Administration and admission process of the college has been computerized.
* The entire process of examinations has been conducted by Tamil Nadu
Teachers Education University, Chennai. The process of examination records
has been computerized.
* The result has been published through Tamil Nadu Teachers Education
University website www.tnteu.in.
26. Increase in the infrastructure : Nil
27. Technology upgradation * Upgradation of existing website has been done. Website : www.drsacedn.in.
* We bought two wire mikes for our auditorium.
* Purchased printer for office purpose.
* Purchased Bar coding Machine for library purpose.
28. Computer & Internet Access and Training to Teachers and
Students Students are being trained in the computer centre for internet, which is
compulsory for the students of the computer centre. Teachers are generally using
the internet facilities for deliberation of lectures in the classes. The computer
training workshop has been conducted for non-teaching staff of our college.
Training Teachers using Computer and Internet
29. Financial aid to students 1. T.A. and D.A. is provided for the students those who are participating in the
events, seminars etc.
2. Meritorious students are provided cash awards during Annual Day Function.
3. Eligible students are assisted to receive scholarships given by the
30. Support from the Alumni Association and its activities In the academic 2009-2010, Alumni Association meeting was conducted
on October, 2009. Mr. V. Benitan, Old student of our institution, teacher in St.
Xavier’s Higher Secondary School, Thoothukudi presided over the function and
Dr. K. Katheresan, Assistant Professor, Department of Tamil, Aditanar College of
Arts and Science, Tiruchendur was the Chief Guest.
Dr. P. Swamydhas, Principal have welcome address and College
Secretary Thiru. K. Thandeswaran felicitate the gathering.
Mrs. S.V. Siva Ambinaya and Mr. S.A. Deva Prince were selected as
Chairman and Secretary respectively. Mr. V. Alaguselvam, Mrs. S. Usharani,
Mr. S. Subramanian, Miss. J. Karpagavalli, Mr. G. Praveen, Miss. J. Subashini
were selected as the members of the alumni association. Vote of thanks was
delivered by Miss. S. Gowri and cultural programme were conducted.
Mr. D. Sivakumar and Mr. R. Hariharan, Assistant Professors of our
institution were the co-ordinators of the Alumni Association.
Alumni Association – 02.10.2009
31. Support from the Parent-Teacher Association and its activities Parent-Teachers association was held in the last academic year on
25.02.2010. Mr. Thiyagamoorthy, Assistant Manager, D.C.W. Ltd., Sahupuram
was the President of the meeting and Mrs. Padmavathi David and Mr. S. Ayyakutti
(School teachers) were selected as Secretary and Treasurer. Parents were allowed
to ventilate their views in the association. Cultural events were conducted by the
B.Ed. and M.Ed. teacher trainees. The parents feedback was used to enhance the
Parents Teachers Association – 25.02.2010
32. Health services Our college conducts health services programme every year.
Dr. Rahini M.B.B.S., D.G.O., conducted this programme successfully.
We offer yoga training to all our students from 3.40 pm. to 4.30 pm.
Everyday one batch of students had yoga classes. This is one of the best skill
mastered by our students. This skill will be useful throughout their life.
Our students exhibiting Trikonasana in Yoga
33. Performance in sports activities Our college gives equal importance to curricular and extra curricular
activities, because our college believes in the wholistic development of our
students. Since our students are future teachers it is imperative to pass on a healthy
habit. So as to imbibe in their games the habit of playing and exercising we have
allotted 3.40 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. as physical education class, which is compulsory to
all the students. Not only that our college has included performance in sports
activities. Physical and health education is as one of the elective papers at B.Ed.
level. Our students are trained to play various indoor and outdoor games. They are:
* Throw Ball
The above games are taught to the students by our sister concern of
Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Physical Education.
Moreover, our college maintains all the grounds in good condition.
Regularly they are maintained in optional condition. All the sports equipments are
available and they are kept in a separate room.
Annual Sports Day
Annual Sports Day is celebrated by our college with much pomp and
gaiety. It is one of the important day activities of our college. For this purpose
boys are divided into two houses namely,
* Lion House and
* Tiger House.
Likewise girls are divided into four houses namely,
* Red and
Our sports events starts from January first week itself. Our college
organizes team games like Cricket, Volleyball, Kho-Kho and Throw Ball, Ball
Badminton and are conducted separately for boys and girls. Track events like 100
mts, 200 mts, 400 mts, 800 mts, 1500 mts, 4 x 100 mts and 4 x 400 mts relay are
also conducted. Field events such as long jump, high jump, shot put and discus
throw are conducted. Thanks to the help of teachers and students of Dr. Sivanthi
Aditanar College of Physical Education. We organize our sports day events
successfully. The enthusiastic encouragement of our management goes a long way
in makes our sports day a galor event. Winners of the events are given prizes and
34. Incentives to Outstanding Sports Persons Our management will provide Travelling allowance, Daily Allowance
and OD for the sports persons. They also provide gifts for the best performance in
35. Students achievements and awards We take great efforts and give ample encouragement to our students to
participate in various inter collegiate and university level competitions. We are
proud to say that our girls participated in Tamil Nadu Educational University Zonal
Track and Field and received II Place in 4 x 400 mts relay in University level
athletics even held at Palayamkottai on 22 and 23rd March 2009. Our victory is not
coincidental, but due to the constant endeavour of our students to excel in sports
Tamil Nadu Educational University Zonal Track and Field
Venue: Anna Stadium, Palayamkottai
Date : 22 and 23rd March, 2009.
1. R. Ramila
2. P. Vennila
3. P. Sakthi
4. A. Minnal Carolin
State Level Mini Marathon
Venue: Dr. Sivanthi Aditanar College of Physical Education, Tiruchendur
Date : 01.09.2009
1. D.S. Don
2. J. Esther Raj
3. S. Sivaramachandran
4. P. Ananth
5. P. Chelladurai
6. M. Ananathi Prince
7. C. Pratheepa
8. R. Ramalakshmi
9. S. Arul Pushpa Latha
10. T. Jeyanthi
11. D. Arunachalakani
12. G. Santhakokilam
13. J. Eswari
State Level Mini Marathon
Venue: Kamaraj College, Thoothukudi
Date : 02.10.2009
1. M. Ananthi Prince
2. C. Pratheepa
3. R. Rama Lakshmi
4. K. Uthaya Sankari
5. P. Vennila
6. M. Vijaya Lakshmi
7. R. Ramila
8. P. Radha
36. Activities of the Guidance and Counselling Cell We provide the development of self-confidence career guidance to our
student with intelligent self-examination now and then. As most of our students
come from the rural segment, the career guidance is often provided to our faculty,
by visiting guest lectures and by resource persons.
37. Placement services provided to students An intensive placement drive undertaken by the institution was very
effective in securing appointments for more number of trainees. Many campus
interviews were held in our college during the academic year 2009-10. The subject-
wise details of newly recruited trainees as teachers are given below.
1. English Teachers - 6
2. Physical science Teachers - 2
3. Biological science Teacher - 1
4. Mathematics Teachers - 2
The following schools conducted campus interview during the academic
1. M.V.M. Vidhya Mandir Matriculation School, Mavadi and Nashik
2. Saratha Higher Secondary School, Gobichetipalayam
3. Mont Fort Higher Secondary School, Yercard
3. Anitha Kumaran Matric Higher Secondary School, Thandupathu.
38. Development programmes for non-teaching staff The college conducted the computer training for non-teaching staff to
equip them with computer operating skills, power point presentation, internet, and
39. Best practices of the institution * Video recording of micro-teaching.
* ELT by language specialist.
* English Language Teaching and Spoken English Classes
* We offer comprehensive training to the students through bridge course
* Presenting various programmes related to arts, science and community
development in Sivanthi F.M. Community Radio, Tiruchendur
* Citizenship training camp
* Aids Awareness programme
40. Linkage/Development with National/International Academic /
Research bodies Our college publishes a research journal entitled “New Horizons in
Educational Research” bi-annually.
41. Any other relevant information: Our college works hard for the upliftment of the rural sectors in the field
of Education in and around Tiruchen
Name and Signature of Name and Signature of the Coordinator IQAC the chairperson, IQAC