2. TALK FLOW INTRODUCTION OVERVIEW OF PORTABLE DISPLAYS WHAT IS IMOD? HOW IT WORKS? COLOR GENERATION HYSTERISIS LOOP ADVANTAGES APPLICATIONS
3. INTRODUCTION Wireless communication is an essential and continuously expanding part of modern life. Smart phones presents a number of challenging requirements on the display module, such as low power consumption, video quality speed, and viewability in a broad range of lighting conditions. The QUALCOMM Interferometric Modulator display (IMOD) is an electrostatically actuated, bistable micro electromechanical system (MEMS) device.
4. WHAT IS IMOD? Interferometric Modulation(IMOD) is a new display technology that produces fantastic colours by exploiting the physical effect of interference of light while using little of the limited battery power. The device uses an array of artificial microstructures fabricated using micro-electromechanical (MEMS) technology to produce the same kind of iridescent colours as seen on the wings of tropical butterflies.
6. TECHNOLOGY USED
7. Black is perceived when a small optical path length is produced, which moves the resonant wavelength into the UV part of the spectrum. MEMS functionality of the IMOD element comes into play for switching between a bright color state and a black state. This switching is extremely fast, on the order of tens of s rendering the IMOD display video-rate capability. RGB pixels have IMOD elements with different air gaps designed to reflect in the red, green, and blue wavelength, respectively.
8. Color Generation:
9. Grayscale Generation The IMOD element is a 1 bit device, that is, it can be driven to either a dark (black) or bright (color) state.
10. HYSTERISIS LOOP
11. ADVANTAGES: Speed Ease of Manufacture Robustness Industry Compatibility Readability Less power consumption Consistent contrast quality
12. APPLICATIONS: Cell phone secondary & main displays MP3 players Portable Bluetooth accessories Handheld/wrist-worn GPS devices Industrial applications
13. Technology throughout the handset value chain:
14. CONCLUSION IMODs are powerful photonic devices that can be used as excellent displays for manipulation of light not only in cell phones but also in camcorders, electronics books, computer monitors, wall mounted TVs, etc. All in all, in the coming days, IMOD displays are likely to replace other devices.
15. REFERENCES Electronics for you(Nov-2008) M.W. Miles, Toward an iMoD ecosystem J. B. Sampsell, "Causes of Color: Especially Interference Color" J.B. Sampsell, MEMS-based display technology drives next-generation FPDs for mobile applications M. Mitchell Waldrop (November 2007). "Brilliant Displays" http://www.smalltimes.com/news/display_news_story.cfm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interferometric_modulator_di splay http://www.qualcomm.com/common/documents/white_p apers/QMT_Technology_Overview_12-07.pdf