Embed Size (px)
A P R I L 2 0 0 3 4 1 : 4 A N N A L S O F E M E R G E N C Y M E D I C I N E R E V I S E D M A R C H 2 0 0 3 2 3 A
Instructions for Web-Based Submission
I N T R O D U C T I O N
Annals of Emergency Medicine, the leading international, peer-reviewed journalfor the specialty of emergency medicine, is dedicated to its mission to improvethe quality of care by serving as an excellent educational and communicationvehicle for emergency medicine and related medical specialties.
Annals uses Editorial Manager™ (http://AnnEmergMed.editorialmanager.com), an online submission and review system, that allows authors to submitmanuscripts via the Web, allows reviewers to view and/or download manu-scripts and submit their opinions to the editor, and allows the editorial officeto oversee the entire process from submission to decision. This Web-basedsystem is designed to reduce the time to decision for submitted manuscripts.Annals no longer accepts submissions by mail.
The Web-based system uses Adobe Acrobat to convert uploaded files toAcrobat PDF files for authors, reviewers, and editors to view online. PDF filesallow the user to view manuscripts in a format that closely resembles theoriginal. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader loaded onto your computer,go to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html and downloadthe free software (Acrobat Reader 5.0).
Help in Editorial Manager™At the top of the Editorial Manager™ opening Web page, you will find a menuof options that will help as you use Annals’ Web-based peer review system.These help functions also appear at the top of each page with frequentlyasked questions (FAQs) provided. For technical support on uploading itemsfor submission, authors may send an e-mail query to [email protected]. For all other queries, authors may send e-mail queries to theAnnals’ office at [email protected].
R E G I S T E R I N G W I T H T H E S Y S T E M
If you are not a registered user with the Annals’ Editorial Manager™ system,you must register first before submitting manuscripts to the journal.
1. Click Register from the blue menu at the top of the Editorial Manager™main page (http://AnnEmergMed.editorialmanager.com). This will take youto the Registration Page. To register, you must fill in all areas that have ared asterisk (*).
2. Once you have filled in all of the required information, choose a username.
3. Write down your username and keep it in a safe place for future use. Afterselecting a username, click Continue at the bottom the screen.
4. The next page asks you to review your personal information. If any infor-mation you entered is incorrect, click the Previous Page link, so that youcan revise your user information. If all the information is correct, clickContinue at the bottom of the screen.
5. At this point, your registration is complete. The system generates apassword for you, and an e-mail message is sent to you. You may changethis password at any time (see Changing Your Password).
Repeat users should select the “Login” button from the menu on the mainpage and proceed as appropriate. Do NOT create another user profile.
C H A N G I N G Y O U R P A S S W O R D
To change your password, type in your username and the password pro-vided by Annals’ Editorial Manager™ system (see step 5 of Registering With
the System). Then, click Update My Information on the blue menu at the topof the screen. You will be brought to your information screen. You must thenclick on Change Password. Enter your old password (for verification) andyour new password twice. Once you change your password, click Done atthe bottom of the page. Please be sure to write down your new passwordand keep it in a safe place.
S U B M I T T I N G A M A N U S C R I P T
After you have carefully reviewed Annals’ Instructions for Authors, you areready to submit a manuscript to the journal. To submit a manuscript, youmust first log into Annals’ Editorial Manager™ by clicking Login on the bluemenu at the top of the Web page.
1. Enter your username and password; then click the Author Login button.
2. You are now at the Author Main Menu page.
3. Click the Submit New Manuscript link.
4. From the Submit New Manuscript page:• Enter Article Title. Type in your manuscript title. Manuscripts cannot be
submitted without a document title. If you need to put in any specialcharacter(s), click the Insert Special Character link. (NOTE: Wheninserting a special character, only click one time on the character youwant. Do not double click on a character unless you want to insert thesame character twice.) Once you finish entering your document title,click the Next button.
• Select Article Type. Choose the kind of file you are submitting (OriginalResearch, Brief Research Reports, Concepts, Reviews, Evidence-BasedEmergency Medicine, Case Conferences, Case Reports, Editorials, BriefCommentaries, Change of Shift, or Correspondence). After you chooseyour article type, click the Next button.
• Add/Edit/Remove Authors. Enter the names of all of the authors who havecontributed to the manuscript.• Click Add/Edit/Remove Authors and a new window will open in which
you can enter author names and affiliations. (NOTE: Because you arelogged in as an Author, you are automatically designated as thecorresponding author. If you scroll to the bottom of the screen, you willsee that you are already listed in the Authors for This Submission list. Ifsomeone else should be listed as the corresponding author, you maychange that here. Please be aware that all correspondence sent fromthe editorial office regarding this submission will be sent to thecorresponding author only. Also be advised that author informationcannot be changed after a manuscript is submitted without contactingthe editorial office. Anyone listed as corresponding author must beregistered with Annals’ Editorial Manager™ system.)
• In the fields provided, insert each author’s first name, middle initial, lastname (include earned degrees here), and affiliation (ie, department,division, institution, city, state, and country). When you are finishedwith one author, click the Add Author button. The name of the authoryou just added appears toward the bottom of the screen, along with anEdit link by each author’s entry, if you need to change any informationyou entered previously.
• Once you have entered all the contributing authors, click the Nextbutton at the bottom of the screen. (If you do not see the Next button,try enlarging the window.)
• Select Classifications. Please select document classifications for this