Greater Manchester Act 1981
HER MAJESTY'S STATIONERY OFFICE
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Citation and .commencement.
3. Appointed day.
4. Advances for land acquisition or building work.
5. Loans for management of land.
6. Grants for industrial purposes.
7. Further power to assist industry.
8. Guarantee of rents, etc., of industrial buildings.
9. Duration of Part TI.
c. ix Greater Manchester Act 1981
LANDS, OPEN SPACES AND MUNICIPAL PROPERTY
10. Disposal of lost and uncollected property.
11. Byelaws as to leisure centres.
12. Closure of parks.
13. Provision of parking places in parks, etc.
14. Provision of vehicles in parks, etc.
15. Contribution towards provision of recreational facilities.
16. As to certain parks and recreation grounds.
17. Highway amenities.
18. Regulation of placing things on footway.
19. Power to provide kiosks, etc.
20. Buildings under highways.
21. Recovery of street works charges where owner unknown.
22. Street numbers.
23. Interference with property of local authorities, etc.
24. Provision of trees and shrubs.
25. hnprovement lines.
26. Prohibition of parking of goods vehicles in residential
27. Control of verges.
28. Temporary stoppage of footpaths and bridleways.
29. Vesting of former highway land.
30. Hairdressers and barbers.
31. Registration of hawkers of food and their premises.
32. Acupuncturists, tattooists, ear-piercers, electrolysists, etc.
33. Definition of" inhabitant" in Act of 1936.
34. Dust, etc., from building operations.
35. Carrying or storage of waste food.
36. Power to order alteration of chimneys.
37. Control of rats and mice.
38. Powers of entry for Prevention of Damage by Pests Act
39. Control of demolitions.
40. Protection of damaged buildings.
41. Securing unoccupied buildings.
Greater Manchester Act 1981 C. ix
42. Control of stray dogs.
43. Repair of walls, etc., of yards.
44. Temporary repair of defective premises.
45. Extension of section 25 of Act of 1976.
46. Extension of summary power to remedy stopped-up drains.
47. Urgent repairs to water, gas and electricity apparatus.
48. Artificial lighting in habitable rooms, etc.
49. Trees impeding natural light to houses, shops and offices.
50. Weatherproofing of property.
51. Closure of insanitary food premises and stalls.
52. Application of certain enactments to vessels and floating
53. Prohibition of interference with bird traps.
54. Dealers in second-hand goods.
55. Safety of ceilings in bingo halls.
PUBLIC ORDER AND PUBLIC SAFETY
56. Notice of street processions.
57. Enforcement of byelaws.
58. Safety of stands.
59. Byelaws with regard to certain temporary structures.
60. Touting, hawking, photographing, etc.
61. Parking places: safety requirements.
62. Firemen's switches for luminous tube signs.
63. Access for fire brigade.
64. Fire precautions in high buildings.
65. Fire precautions in large storage buildings.
66. Fire and safety precautions in public and other buildings.
STORAGE OF FLAMMABLE MATERIAL
67. Interpretation of Part VIII.
68. Stacks to which this Part applies.
69. Unlawful stacks.
70. Part VIII appeals.
71. Powers of entry for Part VIII.
72. Offences under Part VIII.
73. Transitional provisions for Part VIII.
iv c. ix Greater Manchester Act 1981
74. Interpretation of Part IX.
75. Prohibition of unregistered entertainment clubs.
76. Offences in connection with entertainment clubs.
77. Application for registration.
78. Registration of entertainment clubs.
79. Part IX appeals.
80. Part IX powers of entry, inspection and examination.
81. Exemption of premises.
82. Application, designation of streets and interpretation of
83. Resolution to prohibit or control street trading.
84. Application for licence.
85. Contents of street trader's licence.
86. Duration, revocation and variation of licences.
87. Part X appeals.
88. Disqualification of young persons.
89. Employment of assistants.
90. Consultation with traders, organisations, etc.
91. Charge for street cleansing.
92. Offences under Part X.
93. Savings for Part X.
94. Expenses of executing demolition orders, etc.
95. Insurance of certain voluntary assistants.
96. Gratuities to dependants of employees.
97. Interpretation of Part XII.
98. Application of certain provisions of Act of 1949 to
99. Existing byelaws.
100. Grants towards cost of insulating buildings.
101. Schemes for grants towards cost of insulating buildings.
102. Contributions by local authorities.
Greater Manchester Act 1981 c. ix V
103. Orders for insulating new buildings.
104. Purchase of land for works for mitigation of aircraft noise.
105. Works for mitigation of aircraft noise.
106. Part XII powers of entry.
LICENSING OF PUBLIC ENTERTAINMENTS
107. Interpretation of Part XIII and repeal.
108. Licensing of entertainments.
109. Nature and duration of entertainment licences and
110. Offences under Part XIII.
111. Revocation of licences.
112. Part XIII appeals.
113. Part XIII powers of entry, inspection and examination.
114. Extension of general enactments.
115. Devolution of licence under this Part or Cinematograph
MARKETS AND SLAUGHTERHOUSES
116. Part III of Act of 1955 to apply to markets undertakings.
117. Power to compound for payment of tolls.
118. Power of district council to require information.
119. As to public meetings, etc.
120. Market byelaws.
121. Slaughterhouses of district councils.
A. Street trading in Manchester
122. Interpretation of Head A of Part XV.
123. Designation of streets for purposes of street trading.
124. Licensing and registration of street traders.
125. Annual licences.
126. Temporary licences.
127. Limiting number of street traders.
128. Existing street traders in Manchester.
130. Fees on licences and registration.
vi c. ix Greater Manchester Act 1981
131. Head A of Part XV appeals.
132. Charges to holders of annual licences.
133. Offences under Head A of Part XV.
134. Variation of central area.
135. Savings for pedlars, news-vendors, etc.
B. Night cafés in Manchester
136. Interpretation of Head B of Part XV.
137. Prohibition of unregistered night cafés.
138. Offences in connection with night cafés.
139. Application for registration under Head B.
140. Registration of night cafés.
141. Head B of Part XV appeals.
142. Head B of Part XV powers of entry, inspection and
143. Exemption of premises under Head B.
144. Late Night Refreshment Houses Act 1969.
145. Smoke control in Manchester.
146. Cemeteries in Manchester.
147. Open spaces in Manchester.
148. Art galleries.
149. Manchester Central Art Gallery.
150. Guarantees for Manchester Ship Canal Company.
151. Saving for certain enactments relating to Manchester Ship
152. North-Western Museum of Science and Industry.
I 53. Haigh Hall Estate.
154. As to certain highways in Wigan.
155. Wigan Market Square and Mesnes Park.
156. Saving for Amberswood Common, Wigan.
OLDHAM AND ROCHDALE PROVISIONS
157. Thornham district burial rights.
1 58. Saving for Boarshaw Estate, Middleton.
Greater Manchester Act 1981 c. ix vii
159. Municipal Golf Course, Lostock.
160. Smoke control in Bolton.
161. Saving for section 5 of Lever Park Act 1969.
162. Restriction on use of armorial bearings.
163. Unauthorised activities on playing fields, etc.
164. Pedal cycles.
165. Prohibition of parking of goods vehicles in front gardens.
166. Hackney carriage fares.
167. Signs on vehicles.
168. Disputes about compensation.
169. Local inquiries.
170. Saving for conduct of business or practice or use of
171. Appeals to magistrates' court.
172. Appeals to Secretary of State.
173. Suspension of proceedings pending appeal.
175. Restriction on right to prosecute.
176. Crown rights.
177. Liability of directors, etc.
178. Penalty for obstruction.
179. Defence of due diligence.
180. Application of general provisions of Act of 1936.
181. Saving for Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
182. Saving for Fire Precautions Act 1971.
Schedule 1—Parks and recreation grounds.
Schedule 2—Section 29 of Public Health Act 1961 as
having effect in accordance with section 39 (Control
of demolitions) of this Act.
Schedule 3—Enactments applied to certain vessels and
Schedule 4—Sections of Act of 1936 app