Step-by-step guide to the initial data entry of Supplemental and
Temporary Faculty assignments in the FLAC system
1These are general FLAC instructions for all of UNCW. Your unit’s instruction may differ from this documentation. Please follow your specific unit level guidelines.
• Before FLAC records can be created, the Temporary or Permanent Faculty member/Employee must be setup in
SIAINST (completed by AARM) and PEAEMPL (completed by HR).
• Which means that the individual has been established as an employee by Human Resources and faculty hiring
paperwork has been submitted to AARM.
• Assignments on SSASECT default to SIAASGN. All assignments to be compensated through FLAC must be
finalized on SIAASGN.
• If no course teaching assignments populate in SIAASGN for an individual, this means they have not been
assigned any courses on SSASECT for this term. You may also receive the error below, which can be bypassed to
enter non-instructional assignments.
• If you receive the error below- this means SIAINST information is missing. Contact your FLAC Manager.
All assignments for permanent faculty during the academic year will be pre-
populated with their permanent position number and NA suffix and extracted into
SSB in SeaNet before the term opens. Position/suffix will not populate in Summer.
If these assignments are to be paid as an overload, appropriately update the
position, suffix and contract type in SIAASGN. PEPFLAC will then need to be run as
an A twice- once to delete the assignment from SSB and another time to add the
updated assignment back to SSB (see PEPFLAC instructions).
Do not alter any assignments in SIAASGN until the term is open as per the
University FLAC Calendar on the UNCW FLAC website.
Contact your FLAC Manager if unsure of when a term is open.
Step 1. Navigate to SIAASGN in Banner.
Enter ID number of employee and term code in which
assignments will be completed (Term Code Example: Fall 2017-
201810, Spring 2018- 201820, Summer 2018- 201860)
All assignments entered in the Summer term code will calculate as
part of a 9 month faculty’s out-of-contract amount. Enter all non-
instructional assignments being completed between 05/16-08/15
under the summer term code. The pay dates can be confirmed and
appropriately adjusted in SSB.
It is particularly important for grant payments on 5 funds to be entered into
the correct term code.
Step 2. Click “Go” to complete Instructional records. This screen is
for course teaching assignments only. (Next Block to enter non-
instructional assignments. See non-instructional instructions, step 7)
Use the arrows circled above to move between course teaching assignments for the faculty member
OR use the drop down to view multiple course assignments per page.
The Contract Type for full-time
faculty/perm EHRA in AA “FT” will
populate for each assignment. These
fields will need to be changed if an
assignment is in addition to regular
“TE” will populate for all temporary
employees and will need to be changed
for summer teaching, non-paid
assignments (combined courses), and
SIAASGN instructional assignment
information auto-populates from
Step 3. Enter a position number & suffix for each assignment.
• Assignments for permanent employees that are part of their full-time teaching load (FT) require the employee’s full-
time position number and suffix NA.
- The full time position number and the NA suffix will be populated on each assignment on SIAASGN and in SSB
during the academic year. If the assignment is to be paid as an overload, this information will need to be changed
in SIAASGN and PEPFLAC run (see PEPFLAC instructions) to update the record in SSB. If it is truly part of the
faculty’s full time load, nothing needs to be done to the record. Position/suffix will not populate during the
• Supplemental assignments for permanent employees (OV/SS/EX) and paying temporary faculty assignments
(TE/TZ/ST) both require a pool position number and numbered suffix. A pool position number created for temporary
faculty cannot be used for a supplemental payment and vice versa.
Assigning position numbers & suffix’s to Overloads, Summer Session and Temp Fac
• The Position Number should be chosen according to unit/departmental practice. The Active FLAC Positions with Funding SSRS report can be
utilized for identifying pool position numbers if unknown. HR Campus > Supplemental Compensation > FLAC > Active FLAC Positions with Funding. Please refer to your FLAC Manager
if assistance is needed.
• The Position Number Suffix should start with 00 for each time a new position number is assigned to an employee. When
a Position Number is repeated on an employee’s job record during that term or subsequent terms (for both instructional
and non-instructional), the Suffix must increase in value.
• For an assignment that is part of a permanent faculty’s full time load the Suffix should be NA, signifying no supplemental
pay in addition to yearly salary.
Supplemental Payment on same position
number for same faculty/employee
Supplemental PaymentPart of full time load
Assigning position numbers & suffix’s to Overloads and Temp Fac assignments
The correct suffix number for each assignment depends on how many times an employee has been assigned to the position
number attached to the assignment, beginning with 00 for the first assignment, 01 for the next, 02, 03, etc.
How to know what suffix to use for each assignment:
1. Use the pop-up menu next to the Position Number
2. and select List of Employee’s Jobs (NBIJLST)
3. and change query date to 07/01/2006 (OR semester employee was first hired if known) &
4. Click at the top of the page to query, type in position number being used and
5. Double click the position number that populates with the highest suffix number
6. This will attached position number to assignment on SIAASGN.
7. Change suffix on assignment in SIAASGN to be one higher
8. If the position number in question does not populate, type the position number in SIAASGN field and use suffix 00.
9. Be sure to also check the individuals current SIAASGN record for use of this position number to ensure the correct suffix is used, as
this information would not yet be a job record in Banner, and therefore not appear in the List of Employee’s Jobs.
Step 4. Review and adjust Contract Type (when necessary)
A default contract code will populate in the contract type box for each employee as designated on SIAINST. This
may need to be adjusted according to assignment type. Contract Type options for an employee can be chosen
from the pop-up menu
• Permanent Faculty (FT): The Contract Type FT will populate on all assignments for permanent faculty/EHRA in AA,
communicating to the system that this is part of their Full Time Teaching Load and not to calculate additional payment for
- When an assignment is a Course Teaching Overload, meaning in addition to regular duties, the contract type will
need to be changed to OV.
- Non-Instructional, supplemental assignments will need to be changed to EX (see non-instructional assignments)
- Supplemental Summer Session assignments will need to be changed to SS
- If a permanent faculty member gains an instructional assignment mid-term, contract type XX will need to be
assigned to that course, with the pay amount entered in the Override Workload field.
- For an additional, non-paid assignment, change to NA (Noted Assignment). This means pay will not calculate.
- The NA contract type (combined with the NA suffix) can also be used for combined courses for which one is to be
paid as an overload, and the other is noted on their record.
If the correct contract types do not populate in the drop down as listed above, please contact your FLAC Manager or unit contact for
SIAINST, as this indicates that SIAINST has not been completed properly for the individual.
• Temporary Faculty EHRA (TE): The Contract Type TE will populate on all assignments, which signifies Temporary
- Non-Instructional temp fac assignments will need to be changed to TZ.
- Summer Session teaching will need to changed to ST.
- If a temp fac gains an instructional assignment mid-term, contract type TX will need to be
assigned to that course, with pay amount entered in the Override Workload field.
- For non-paid assignments the NA contract type can be used, indicating that this is a Noted
- The NA contract type (combined with the NA suffix) can also be used for combined courses, to calculate
payment for one and not the other.
• Temporary Non-Faculty EHRA (TE): The Contract Type TZ will populate on all assignments, which signifies
Temporary EHRA non-instructional assignment.
- If an assignment is non-paid (e.g. a combined course) the NA contract type can be used, indicating that
this is a Noted Assignment.
• EHRA Administrators in AA (credentialed) (EP): The Contract Type FT will populate for those in an academic unit
the title of Chair, Director, Assoc Dean, Dean, Library Special Faculty. If an EP does not have an