Welcome to 6th Grade Language Arts!
with ms. laura cecil
Please take an index card out of the bin on
the back table
-Your 6th Grader’s name
-One wonderful thing about your 6th grader,
and/or anything in particular you would like me
to know about your 6th grader.
When you are done, please put your card in
the empty bin on the back table
-About the class
-B.A. English-University of Florida
-M.A. English and Teaching Certification--CU Boulder
-4th year at PRA
-Why I teach...
Major Units of Study
● Greek Mythology
● The Iliad (abridged)
● The Odyssey (abridged)
● The Prince and the Pauper (abridged)
● Julius Caesar: No Fear
Units will be structured around primary texts with integrated
writing, grammar, and vocabulary instruction.
● Students will likely have Language Arts homework 2-3
times per week (this may increase when we are working
on unit assessments).
● Homework will likely consist of reading, vocabulary,
grammar, and writing practice, or will be assigned if
activities are not completed in class.
● Students will be asked to read one book of their choosing each quarter
● At the end of the quarter, they will complete a short project for their book
and turn it in for an assessment grade
● Books should be age/reading level appropriate and should be “novel
● Fiction or nonfiction is acceptable
● Students will need parents to sign off on their chosen book
● YOUR STUDENTS DO NOT KNOW THE DETAILS ABOUT THIS YET.
THEY WILL FIND OUT ON FRIDAY!
● Assessments=80% of overall grade
○ This includes quizzes; essays; projects; and unit
■ Students will be allowed to reassess on the
portions of assessments on which they do not
● Learning Activities=20% of overall grade
○ This includes classwork and homework
● I will accept late work for credit up through
the last day of each unit.
● Once the next unit has begun, no late work
for the previous unit will be accepted.
Thursday, 3:15-4:00, or by appointment!