Microsoft PowerPoint - Biotechnology and Genetic Engineeringvary
between individuals and thus can be used
to identify an individual.
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
– The DNA is then cut into fragments using restriction
– Restriction enzymes recognize and cut specific nucleotide
fragments into vectors.
called recombinant DNA.
– The fragments are separated by size using gel
– Gene therapy refers to treating genetic disorders by
correcting a defect in a gene or by providing a normal form
of a gene.
disease-resistant, pest-resistant, and
improve the yields and nutrition of the human
• Spend 5 minutes independently answering these questions:
1. Describe what biotechnology and genetic engineering are in your
2. What is gel electrophoresis? What are some applications that it
can be used for?
3. What are some possible ethical issues associated with genetic
engineering? What are some potential benefits?