1. ASP.NET is a web application framework developed and marketed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites, web applications and web services.
2. ASP.NET is a server side scripting technology that allows you to use a full featured programming language such as C# or VB.NET etc at backend to build web applications easily.
It was first released in January 2002 with
version 1.0 of the .NET Framework, and is
the successor to Microsoft's Active Server
Pages (ASP) technology. ASP.NET is built
on the Common Language Runtime (CLR),
allowing programmers to write ASP.NET
code using any supported .NET language.
What is ASP+?
ASP+ is the same as ASP.NET. ASP+ is
just an early name used by Microsoft when
they developed ASP.NET.
What is ASP.NET?• ASP.NET is a Microsoft Technology.• ASP stands for Active Server Pages.• ASP.NET is a server side scripting
Technology that enables scripts to be executed by an Internet server.
• ASP.NET is a program that runs inside IIS.• IIS (Internet Information Services) is
Microsoft's Internet server.• IIS comes as a free component with Windows
servers.• IIS is also a part of Windows 2000 and XP
What is an ASP.NET File?• An ASP.NET file is just the same as an
HTML file.• An ASP.NET file can contain HTML, Asp
server Controls, XML, and scripts.• Scripts in an ASP.NET file are executed on
the server.• An ASP.NET file has the file extension
How Does ASP.NET Work?• When a browser requests an HTML file,
the server returns the file.• When a browser requests an ASP.NET
file, on the server, IIS passes the request to the ASP.NET engine.
• The ASP.NET engine reads the file, line by line, and executes the scripts (code) in the file.
• Finally, the ASP.NET file is returned to the browser as plain HTML.
What is Classic ASP?
Microsoft's previous server side scripting
technology ASP (Active Server Pages) is now
often called classic ASP. ASP 3.0 was the last
version of classic ASP.
ASP.NET is NOT ASP
ASP.NET is the next generation ASP, and
it's not an upgraded version of ASP. ASP.NET
is an entirely new technology for server-side
scripting. It is not backward compatible with
I. Better language support
II. Programmable controls
III. Event-driven programming
IV. Not fully ASP compatible
V. Higher scalability
VI. Increased performance - Compiled code
VII. Easier configuration
VIII. Easier deployment
i. Language Support:
ASP.NET uses ADO.NET for data connection. ASP.NET also supports different languages such as Visual Basic (not VBScript) C#, C++ and JScript.
ii. ASP.NET Controls:
ASP.NET contains a large set of HTML controls. Almost all HTML elements on a page can be defined as ASP.NET control that can be controlled by scripts. ASP.NET also contains a new set of object-oriented input controls, like programmable list-boxes and validation controls. A new data grid control supports sorting, data paging, and everything you can expect from a dataset control.
iii. Event Aware Controls:
All ASP.NET control on a Web page can expose events that can be processed by ASP.NET code. Load, Click and Change events handled by code makes coding much simpler and much better organized.
ASP.NET is not fully compatible with older versions of ASP, so most of the old ASP code will need some changes to run under ASP.NET.
To overcome this problem, ASP.NET uses a new file extension ".aspx“ instead of “.asp”. This will make ASP.NET applications able to run side by side with classic ASP applications on the same server.
v. High Scalability:
Much has been done with ASP.NET to provide greater scalability .Server-to-server communication has been greatly enhanced, making it possible to scale an application over several servers.
vi. Performance (Compiled Code):
The first request for an ASP.NET page on the server will compile the ASP.NET code and keep a cached copy in memory for the next time request. The result of this is greatly increased performance.
vii. Easy Configuration:Configuration of ASP.NET is done
with plain text files. Configuration files can be uploaded or changed while the application is running. No need to restart the server. [GI]
viii. Easy Deployment:
Similarly no more server-restart to deploy or replace compiled code. ASP.NET simply redirects all new requests to the new code.
1. ASP.NET drastically reduces the amount of code required to build large applications.
2. ASP.NET makes development simpler and easier to maintain with an event-driven, server-side programming model.
3. The source code is compiled the first time the page is requested. Execution is fast as the Web Server compiles the page first time it is requested. The server saves the compiled version of the page for use next time the page is requested.
Advantages Using ASP.NET
4. The HTML produced by the ASP.NET page is sent back to the browser. The application source code you write is not sent and is not easily stolen.
5. ASP.NET makes for easy deployment. There is no need to register components because the configuration information is built-in.
Advantages Using ASP.NET
ASP.NET vs Client-Side Technologies
ASP.NET is purely server-side technology. ASP.NET code executes on the server before it is sent to the browser. The code that is sent back to the browser is pure HTML and not ASP.NET code. Like client-side scripting, ASP.NET code is similar in a way that it allows you to write your code alongside HTML. Unlike client-side scripting, ASP.NET code is executed on the server and not in the browser. The script that you write alongside your HTML is not sent back to the browser and that prevents others from stealing the code you developed.
ASP.NET vs Client-Side Technologies
Configuration involves everything from
application settings such as database
connections to security details and information
about how errors should be handled.
Configuration file is a file that provide
Information about the configuration that you
can change without having to recompile code.
Note: We will study web.config file for the configuartion of asp.net application in future lectures.