Dr. J. S. McMillan, who was a principal medicalofficer in the Glasgow Health Department until heretired in November, 1970, died on April 20.He joined the health department in October, 1930. In
1931 he became chest physician in the northern division ofthe city and in 1939 he was appointed divisional medicalofficer, also in the northern division. During the difficultperiods of the depression, the 1939-45 war, and the post-war years, he was responsible for the control of infectionand environmental health, including housing, in the area.In 1955 he was promoted to principal medical officer, withduties including the control of tuberculosis and the organisa-tion of campaigns to protect children against the preventableinfections. He was also involved in the care of old peopleand the blind. With the arrival of the computer, he re-turned, as a hobby, to his old love of mathematics. Hebecame adviser to the medical officer of health on the useof the computer in health statistics and in the promotion ofimmunisation schemes for children.
Dr. McMillan brought to his work dedication and un-divided attention. To all and sundry he was available todiscuss problems, give advice, and take what action wasnecessary. To all members of the staff of the health depart-ment and to many others he will long be remembered as avery perfect gentleman.He is survived by his wife and son.
A. R. M.
WILLIAM TEMPLETONM.B.Glasg., D.P.H.
Dr. William Templeton, a former deputy countymedical officer for West Sussex and consultant chest
physician for the county, died on April 20 at the ageof 89.
After holding several hospital appointments and workingin general practice he was appointed assistant school medicalofficer and assistant tuberculosis officer in the Doncasterarea of the West Riding in 1908. Later, he moved toSussex and in 1913 became assistant medical officer ofhealth and school medical officer in the county of WestSussex. In the 1914-18 war he was a pathologist, first inGraylingwell War Hospital, Chichester, and then as a
captain in the R.A.M.C. in No. 47 General Hospital,B.E.F. France, where he was one of the team which firstworked on the new flavine antiseptics. After the war heresumed his chest work, holding tuberculosis dispensariesand acting as consultant for the county. He was appointeddeputy county medical officer of health in 1920, and in thefollowing year became first superintendent of Alding-bourne Sanatorium. During the 1939-45 war he wasengaged in helping evacuees and distributing medical
supplies in the county, but continued his chest work inthe later years of the war, and remained as part-timeconsultant to the county for several years after his retire-ment in 1946.
He is survived by his wife and son.
J. S. B. writes:" Bill Templeton’s work in West Sussex for the sufferers
of chest diseases, and of tuberculosis in particular, will be
remembered for many years to come. A keen clinician, hebridged, in his long life, the gap between sanatorium,, open-air ’ treatment, and the modern methods.
" His patients were always individuals to him, and hisapproach to their problems and those of their families waspersonal, never stereotyped, being warmed by the sympathywhich was part of his nature. His last few years weredogged by blindness, which he bore with fortitude andcheerfulness, aided by the devoted care of his wife."