DRSIS / HOLIDAY INDEPENDENT PRACTICE / 2019-20 Page 1
ACADEMIC SESSION: 2019 – 20
Class X (IGCSE)
HOLIDAY INDEPENDENT PRACTICE
STUDENT’S NAME: DATE:
We are sure that you will enjoy your summer vacation with members of the
family and friends. Some of you must be planning to travel or to visit your
relatives and grandparents. It will be great if you spend some time with them
and gift them something that is handmade and designed by you. This will
surely make them feel special. If possible, join some activity classes or learn
something new during your holidays. Spend some time reading storybooks,
newspapers, watching interesting and informative programmes. Help your
parents by cleaning up your room, arranging things kept in the cupboard and
donating things that you do not need to a NGO.
We are attaching a few interesting activities and assignments which you are expected to do during the break.
This will also help you avoid the noon time heat. Write neatly and present your work well. Please complete
the work and bring it to school on Thursday, June 6, 2019. Have lots of fun and take good care of yourself.
Six things to remember during summer vacation:
While your parents and we want you to have fun during summer break, we also want you to be thinkers
and doers. The following guidelines will help you to be both, while enjoying your freedom at the same
1. Find other ways of entertaining yourself than phones and TV, learn a musical instrument like guitar or
keyboard, learn a hobby like origami or magic tricks, read novels, learn cooking, etc.
2. For every hour of electronics, you give one hour of play time
3. If you are bored, help out at home. This will also earn brownie points with your parents and help
you realize the importance of organization and cleanliness.
4. Reading is a must. Reading nurtures your soul. When you visit malls, make sure you drop in at a
bookstore and pick books that interest you. Otherwise, read on Kindle.
5. There is no sleeping all day and staying up all night: It is unhealthy and it will be hard for you to
readjust to regular school schedule at the end of the vacations.
6. Make sure you make time for your parents: Watch a movie, go out on dinners with your family and
spend more time with your family than with your friends.
Coordinator’s Helpline: 9246170337
For any queries please email at - email@example.com
DRSIS / HOLIDAY INDEPENDENT PRACTICE / 2019-20 Page 2
Some Do’s And Don’ts During Summer Vacation
Avoid going outdoor at noon
Do not waste all your time to play
video games and/or mobile games
Do not oversleep, and do not let
laziness take you over.
DRSIS / HOLIDAY INDEPENDENT PRACTICE / 2019-20 Page 3
ACADEMIC SESSION 2019 – 2020
CLASS – X (IGCSE), HOLIDAY INDEPENDENT PRACTICE
Student’s Name: Date:
INVESTIGATORY TOPIC Global warming – Causes, Effects and Consequences of global warming.
The Paris Agreement is a landmark environmental accord that was adopted by
nearly every nation in 2015 to address climate change and its negative impacts.
The deal aims to substantially reduce global greenhouse gas emissions in an
effort to limit the global temperature increase in this century.
The objective of this project is student research. It enables students to
demonstrate the application of their skills and knowledge, and to pursue their
personal interests, without the time limitations and other constraints that are
associated with written examinations.
SUBJECT TASK & LINKAGES:
List the CO2 emissions by Asian countries in the last five years. Represent the
same using bar graphs.
(B) Combined Sciences
Write a note on different chemicals which are released when fossil fuels are
1) What is the effect of these gases on humans, plants and environment?
2) Why unleaded petrol is preferred fossil fuel and explain the working of
3) Calculate the efficiency and calorific value of coal, petrol, diesel, natural
gas, gasohol, and ethanol.
(C ) Pure Physics
1) State what is meant by the greenhouse effect.
2) List out four important greenhouse gases in the Earth’s atmosphere, and for
each give three natural and three man-made sources.
3) Draw a simplified schematic energy flow diagram to illustrate the
greenhouse effect on earth.
( D) Pure Chemistry
Research about the greenhouse gases, their sources and their impacts on
humans, animals, plants and environment.
Also write about the preventive steps we can take to avoid global warming in
context to green chemistry.(Refer the following links-
( E) Pure Biology
Make a poster on the principle of green house and how is it effecting the
humans and wildlife.
Must include what can be done as a mitigation strategy to resolve this issue.
(F) Business Studies
1) Find the names of the top 10 polluting firms of the world and the product
2) Identify the nations these firms belong to.
3) Find the names of the least 10 polluting firms of the world and the product
4) Identify the nations these firms belong to.
5) On a political map of the world, shade the top 10 nations in red and the
bottom 10 in green.
DRSIS / HOLIDAY INDEPENDENT PRACTICE / 2019-20 Page 4
1) How does government regulations on private producers help in controlling
environmental degradation - (100 words and in bullet points )
2) Also demonstrate what effect does government regulations have on India’s /
or your home countries’ PPC
(H) Physical Education
Global Warming & Physical Education
1) What kinds of challenges does Global warming pose on different sporting
a) How does climate change threaten Winter Sports?
b) How does climate change threaten Sports in the Southern Hemisphere?
2) Should professional athletes act as messengers on climate change and why?
3) How does physical exercise help to fight climate change?
a) Does informal physical activity help to cut down one’s personal carbon
b) Can physical activity and exercise help to process negative emotions
and distress, due to global warming? 
4) Exercise: Which sports are climate-friendly and which are not? Which
sports suffer from global warming and which do not? Name them. 
Create a Presentation on Global warming - causes, effects and consequences
using Prezzi or Biteable
India has made three commitments under the Paris Agreement.
a) India’s greenhouse gas emission intensity of its GDP will be reduced by 33-
35% below 2005 levels by 2030.
b) 40% of India’s power capacity would be based on non-fossil fuel sources.
c) India will create an additional ‘carbon sink’ of 2.5 to 3 billion tonnes of Co2
equivalent through additional forest and tree cover by 2030. (Source: The
Imagine you are a youth representative from India at a Save the Earth
campaign. Using the above premise and additional research about India’s role
in the Paris Agreement, write a speech that addresses the following points:
a) How far has India succeeded in attaining these goals?
b) What are the challenges the country is facing in this regard?
c) What could be the possible solutions?
छात्र ग्लोबल वार्मिंग के कारण,प्रभाव और पररणामआर्ि का ज्ञान र्वस्तार स ेप्राप्त करेग ेसाथ ही उस ेरोकने के र्लए
छात्र का कततव्य और सरकार की भरू्मका की जानकारी प्राप्त कर २००-२५० शब्िों का लेख और र्नबन्ध र्लखकर
Escribe un reportaje sobre un aspecto de la protección del medio ambiente
que te interesa. Menciona:
Tu opinión sobre lo que se debe hacer
Dos cosas que tú has hecho recientemente para cuidar el planeta
Algo que ha hecho mal el gobierno y lo que habrías hecho tú
Ecrivez environ en français sur un problèm