- Ways to make your office environmentally friendly
Ways to make your office environmentally friendly
As translators, we tend to use lots of paper and ink, producing large amounts of waste. Furthermore, we use a variety of electronic devices that consume lots of energy, hence affecting the environment and contributing to global warming. By following the next tips, you will be able to reduce your impact on global warming and even save some money.
- 1. Ways to make your office environmentally friendly November 2nd, 2009
- 2. General content
- Lighting and Office Furniture
- 3. Introduction
- As translators, we tend to use lots of paper and ink, producing large amounts of waste. Furthermore, we use a variety of electronic devices that consume lots of energy, hence affecting the environment and contributing to global warming. By following the next tips, you will be able to reduce your impact on global warming.
- 4. Paper
- Recycling paper saves energy and water as well as trees.
- Printing on both sides of a sheet of paper will reduce the amount of waste.
- Using emails instead of paper for correspondence.
- Buying recycled paper will save trees.
- 5. Ink
- Setting your default print quality to draft to reduce the amount of ink used.
- Refilling ink cartridges instead of disposing them will cut down your expenses.
- Recycling those cartridges that could not be refilled is another way to help .
- 6. Printers
- Replacing laser printers, which produce ozone, with ink - jet printers that consume less electricity.
- 7. Computers
- Upgrading your current computer in any way, i.e. by adding more memory, spares you from buying a new one.
- Selling unwanted equipment and giving it away to charity will prevent you from producing more waste.
- Setting your computer and monitor to switch off when not in use, instead of using screensavers, will save energy.
- 8. Mobile Phones
- Sending all mobile phones for recycling avoids the damage caused by the cadmium and lead that these contain.
- 9. Heating
- Turning off the radiators in the areas of your house that are not being used will reduce domestic energy consumption.
- Reducing heat loss through good roof, wall insulation and draught proofing also decreases CO2 emissions and fuel bills.
- 10. Lighting
- Turning lights off when leaving the room.
- Replacing blown bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps that reduce the use of electricity and last longer.
- Buying second-hand furniture.
- Selling unwanted furniture or giving it to charity will save waste going to landfill.
- 11. Travel
- Walking or cycling instead of using motor vehicles will keep you fit and reduce gas emissions.
- Traveling by train instead of flying if possible in order to reduce aircraft emissions.
- 12. References
- Mendy, Ros. (2005) Ways to make your office environmentally friendly . ITI Bulletin. January-February. Institute of Translating and Interpreting. London, United Kingdom.
- Follow these tips and save the planet.
- Thank you for your attention.
- Email: email@example.com
- To contact us: 04145471235 / 04143093889
- Centro Comercial Los Samanes, Piso 2, Local A-2