1. TENSIONEDFABRICSTRUCTURES THE COLUMBUS CENTER Inner Harbor Baltimore, Maryland CLOSED TENSIONED FABRIC STRUCTURE
2. Tensioned Fabric Structure: A structure where the exterior shell is a fabric material spread over a framework. The fabric is maintained in tension in all directions to provide stability. DENVER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 3. PIER SIX PAVILION Baltimore, Maryland OPEN STRUCTURE 4. CHICAGOS NAVY PIER 5.
Lightweight and flexible
High strength weight ratio
Little to no rigidity
Loss of tension is dangerous for stability
Thermal values limit use
FABRIC STRUCTURES CANNOT TAKE HEAVY WEATHER CONDITIONSFALSE
FABRIC IS ELASTIC AND STRETCHESFabric has a strong tensile strength and
will creep (stretch very slightly) only a few percent over 20 years of use.
COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS 6. TYPES OF FABRIC STRUCTURES
7. SADDLE ROOF
Four or more point system when the fabric is stretched between a set of alternating high and low points
8. MAST SUPPORTED
Tent - like structures containing one or more peaks supported by poles (masts) or a compression ring that connects the fabric to the central support.
9. ARCH SUPPORTED
Curved compression members are used as the main supporting elements and cross arches are used for lateral stability.
10. ALUMINUM FRAME SUPPORT 11. COMBINATIONS
Combination of several support types.
12. COMPONENTS 13. BASE PLATE
Connection to concrete foundation pillar
BALE RING / MEMBRANE PLATE
Provide a link between the membrane and structural elements..
Bale rings are used at the top of conical shapes.
Membrane plates accept centenary cables and pin connection hardware.
15. MEMBRANE Forms the enclosure of the structure. Connections can be gluedor heat welded. 16. MEMBRANES
TYPES OF FABRIC MEMBRANES 18. SPECIALIZED HARDWARE Tensioner Extruded section with membrane plate and centenary cables Tripod head with centenary cables Centenary cables at a side connection SPECIALIZED HARDWARE 19. SPECIALIZED HARDWARE
20. WATER DRAINAGE VIA MEMBRANE PLATES OPEN STRUCTURE 21. WATER DRAINAGE CLOSED STRUCTURE 22. SOLAR BEHAVIOR 23. ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT