12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 1
SURVIVAL KIT TO ASIAN
CULTURES AND MENTALITY
- Focus on Southeast Asia
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 2
East Asia Greater China
South Asia Southeast Asia
Distinguish the areas. Can you do it?
Note: Mentality doesnt always follow the national borders.
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 3
- Two powers: China and Japan
- Southeast Asia at the crossroads of India, China,
and Arabian merchants.
- Long roads of colonialisation
- Independence during The Great Wars of Europe
- Unification and disputes of Asian countries
Influences of History
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 4
Belief is fundamental.
Believe in something, otherwise you dont exist. Religions and beliefs are diverse and can be overlapping.
Which religion dictates the behavior and belief of each individual? Hinduism Buddhism Islam Christianity (and its sub religions) Confucianism Taoism Shintoism Animistic beliefs and others
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 5
How about a Local Language?
Japan: Japanese (note: differences depending who you talk to)
China: Putonghua (hanyu) and several other dialects (Cantonese is quite different from Mandarin)
Laos: Lao tai (ethnic dialecst, thai, vietnam, chinese)
Vietnam: Vietnam (feel free to try: French, English, Russian)
Indonesia: Java, Sundanesia, Malay, Mandurese, Minanglabau, Indonesia, Batakki, Bali, Chinese, Aceh etc
Malaysia: Bahasa malaysia (English)
Philippines: Tagalog, Cebuano and others (Pilipino, English)
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 6
Mentality and Values 1/2 - From Confucianism: moral, relations, family, respect for elders, hierarchial
thinking, harmony and conflict avoidance.
- Face: keep, save or give.
- Define status in order to communicate in a proper manner.
- Concept of time is often based on feelings rather than what the rolex
- Pay attention to symbolism and meanings when giving gifts.
- Eating is interaction as its best. (Note. Sitting order defines who pays the bill.)
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 7
Mentality and Values 2/2
- Redefine terms i.e. shake off your
own understanding on such concepts
as democracy, corruption, truth and
lies, friends and enemies, mistakes,
nepotism, contract, showing respect.
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 8
Business Mentality 1/2
- Complex and hierarchial: do you really know who decides?
- Step at the time, planning secondary.
- Out of sight, out of mind
- No public criticism.
- Debt of gratitude is a loan.
- Short agreements, long (business) relations.
- Business done with friends and with friends friends
- Official and unofficial meetings mix.
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 9
- Authority inherited, not based on accomplishment.
- Three groups for an Asian: family, friends and enemies.
- Communication is hierarchial.
- Collectivism before individualism (we instead of I)
- Useful third persons for awkward situations.
- Win-win = everybody gets something (but not necessarily win)
- Trust first, details later.
- Celebrate, have fun, eat & meet!
Business Mentality 2/2
NO:Time is money.
BUT: Money talks.
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 10
Stereo-types: Prepare with reserva-tions
Their expect-ations about you
Personali-ty: Background and behavioral style
legalities, intl &
12.1.2015 Copyright Hanuman Consulting 11
Want to indulge more into
Asian Mentality and Cultures?
Tel. +358 40 5868899