Text of Springwise Weekly | Fitness beer, and the rest of this week’s most exciting new business ideas —...
1. Top 10 business ideas & opportunities for 2014! ! !! YOUR WEEKLY FIX OF ENTREPRENEURIAL IDEAS ! ! !!!!
2. ! YOUR WEEKLY FIX OF ENTREPRENEURIAL for 2014! !! Top 10 business ideas & opportunitiesIDEAS !!! !! Weve selected 15 new business ideas this week that will provide entrepreneurs with plenty of inspiration. Spotted from ! countries all around the world, these ideas offer a taste of whats to come.!
3. 1. Social hospital toy lets isolated young patients play with other kids! Hospitals are never fun for kids, and weve seen a number of ideas in the past attempt to make their experience more comfortable, from pirate-themed CT scanners to fun robots. But being able to interact with other children is still a major bonus, something denied to kids who need to be kept in isolation or quarantine. From the Netherlands, Konnekt is a hospital isolation barrier that doubles as a two-way toy, enabling collaborative play among children that have to be separated.! Read more about Konnekt !
4. 2. Discovery app stops readers from judging books by their covers! While platforms such as Oyster are using the Netix model to help readers nd new e-books to read, a new app called Uncovered is working to avoid the disappointment consumers feel when a title doesnt live up to its cover, title or author using only short excerpts to entice readers to purchase.! Read more about Uncovered !
5. 3. Community pharmacy doubles as a healthy drinks bar! Dining and health are intimately related, so its no surprise that in the past weve seen ideas such as Japans Tanita Shokudo cafeteria, which offers dietary advice sessions alongside its menu. Now Stanleys Pharmacy in New York is aiming to recreate the warm atmosphere of community drugstores of the 1950s, providing herbal teas and sodas alongside its medicines and remedies.! Read more about Stanleys Pharmacy !
6. 4. Business tie features secret subway map" Weird Of The Week: This is part of a series of articles that looks at some of the most bizarre and niche business ideas we see here at Springwise.!! Nowadays, its easy to defer to a smartphone whenever we need directions, but an internet connection isnt always available in underground subway stations. For business commuters, a fashion label in Japan has developed the Subway Map Tie, which discreetly hides a plan of the Tokyo metro system on its inside.! Read more about the Subway Map Tie !
7. 5. Interactive map helps patients nd the fastest emergency! healthcare! Waiting is an activity that most people receiving healthcare have acutely experienced, whether its being put on a list for treatment or simply passing time before a GP visit. Cutting waiting time is something that can drastically improve patients experience, and in the past weve seen ideas such as HealthSpot use telemedicine to deliver healthcare advice remotely. For accidents and emergencies that require more hands-on attention however, a new platform called ER Wait Watcher enables users to determine which nearby hospital is likely to see them rst.!!Read more about the ER Wait Watcher !
8. 6. App lets homeowners stream art through their TV! Owning a masterpiece is not a pleasure the average consumer enjoys, but being able to hang some art on the walls is something most people would like to do. While some services such as ARTtwo50 have brought the price of original works down to a fairly affordable USD 250, Artkick is an app pursuing a different route by broadcasting renowned paintings and photography into living rooms through the TV.! Read more about Artkick !
9. 7. App enables users to add typography to their video messages! Smartphones have placed high denition cameras into the hands of many consumers, enabling them to easily capture their lives on digital lm. However, tools to edit and organize this raw footage with the same ease are few and far between. While apps such as Cinch are going some way to give users complex editing tools, Wordeo is a new app that lets amateur lmmakers quickly organize their clips and add their own text to tell a better story.! Read more about Wordeo !
10. 8. Food delivery service takes orders for 365 days into the future! While startups like Caviar are helping to unlock high quality restaurant menus for takeaway in San Francisco, another venture is focusing on another aspect of food delivery in the area. Palo Alto-based Fluc is helping businesses plan their food takeouts from any chain up to a year in advance.! Read more about Fluc !
11. 9. Electronic tags deliver real time patient data to responders! during disasters! During emergency relief efforts, a common tactic among responders is the practice of triage, which involves placing color-coded tags onto patients to determine the severity of their injury and allow medical help to be distributed more efciently. Now the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology has developed eTriage, a digital wristband system that lets emergency services track injured citizens on the ground.! Read more about the eTriage !
12. 10. Packaging lets consumers message the farmers that made their! food! Consumers dont often have an intimate knowledge of where the food they buy at the supermarket or consume in restaurants comes from, but we have seen efforts to greater inform customers, most recently with the Harney Sushi restaurant, which details its sustainable shing practices through edible QR codes on the meals themselves. Going slightly further, however, Cisse Trading Co. is now including QR codes on its baked goods and hot drinks that enable customers to send a message to the farmers that harvested the ingredients.! Read more about Cisse Trading Co. !
13. 11. Streamed tness and dance classes offer real time Q&As! Enjoying exercise tips from expert instructors at home has been around since the age of tness VHS tapes, now updated as live streamed sessions through platforms such as Peloton. Offering an element of personal communication with tness and general wellness trainers, InstructorLive enables users to get responses to their questions in real time.! Read more about InstructorLive !
14. 12. Marketplaces mass produced, 3D-printed products are never! exactly the same! 3D printing has for a while been touted as a game changer in mass production, and we have already seen how the technology can be applied to consumer-facing business for example, the Netherlands Zazzy platform, which lets customers design their own jewelry. Now a new marketplace called Dyo offers artisanal mass-produced items that each feature individual design quirks and can be customized by the consumer.! Read more about Dyo !
15. 13. USB stick lets distant relatives watch TV and chat together! While family members may be ung across the far corners of the world, there are now many ways to keep in touch more easily, from video calls to social media. Now a new startup called bob is hoping to change the way families use their TV, with a USB stick that transforms the screens into an interactive dashboard to keep track and connect with distant relatives.! Read more about Bob !
16. 14. In Peru, beach cleanup scheme helps disadvantaged people! become entrepreneurs! The ocean is full of waste produced by humans, and beaches often end up collecting the debris that washes ashore, which is unsightly and potentially deadly to marine animals. While cleanup initiatives have the obvious benet of ridding trash from coastlines, the recyclable waste can also be used for creating products and opportunities. In the past weve seen schemes in the UK develop the Sea Chair a stool made entirely of trash trawled from the ocean and now Plastic Bank is enabling those participating in beach cleanups in Peru to exchange their help for training, microloans and access to 3D printing facilities.!Read more about Plastic Bank !
17. 15. Fitness beer is actually good for the body! A beer could perhaps be said to be the greatest way to unwind something the UKs Deskbeers has tapped into with its Friday afternoon ofce delivery service. However, its not the most healthy method of relaxation, thanks to the calories, its dehydrating qualities and the next-day hangover. Lean Machine Ale aims to change that, offering a variety of tnessenhancing qualities.!Read more about Lean Machine Ale !
18. What is Springwise?! ! Springwise scans the globe for the most promising, unique and innovative business ventures, ideas and concepts that are ready for regional or international adaptation, expansion, partnering, investments or cooperation.! ! Springwise headquarters is in close contact with more than 17,000 Springspotters in over 150 countries worldwide, who provide us with details of the latest innovations in their countries. These are compiled and assessed by our editorial team, and the best examples are published to provide entrepreneurial inspiration to our readers around the world!! ! Springwise publishes a Daily and a Weekly newsletter, to which you can subscribe for free, they are sent to more than 170,000 people.! ! Established in 2002, Springwise is headquartered in London, United Kingdom.! 2002-2014 SPRINGWISE!FOLLOW SPRINGWISE!