This presentation is a "wake up call" for marketers to change the way the profession operates and become more accountable.
- 1. On Marketing Accountability A Reflection FUTURE LAB Feel free to re-use or mash-up this presentation under Creative Commons 2.0 licence (non-commercial, attribution)
2. FUTURE LAB
- Alain Thys: Jekyll or Hyde ?
- As a retailer/VC/entrepreneur:
- Close to 100,000,000 spent to date, and very littleto show for it
3. If you think marketing has a corporate image problem FUTURE LAB 4. Marketers are faddish, irresponsible, dont think like business people more akin to a recalcitrant child McKinsey CEO/CMO Survey FUTURE LAB 5. The average tenure of CMOs in consumer markets is 23, 15 or 12 months . Spencer Stuart FUTURE LAB 6. Too many marketers have become so specialised that they dont think in terms of the companys big picture. FUTURE LAB Philip Kotler 7. Marketersare frivolous and difficult to approach FUTURE LAB Australian Society of Certified Public Accountants 8. FUTURE LAB Cranfield University Withhold researchTake credit for others work Lack structureAre always in meetingsWork from 10 to 4Have long lunchesUnaccountable, untouchable Seek quick promotions Churn Care about cars, stats and lunch Use jargon Slippery Expensive 9. If you think marketing has a corporate image problem FUTURE LAB 10. FUTURE LAB 11. Who Killed Marketing? A Forensic Investigation FUTURE LAB Photo by ~billysriotgirl0404 12. Dont shoot the messenger BloodyUncomfortableConfronting FUTURE LAB 13. FUTURE LAB THE VICTIM Accountability to the Business THE CRIME SCENE Accountability to the Customer THE VICTIMS WORLD Accountability to the World A Forensic Investigation 14. FUTURE LAB THE VICTIM Accountability to the Business THE CRIME SCENE Accountability to the Customer THE VICTIMS WORLD Accountability to the World A Forensic Investigation 15. WARC, 2007 Which % of marketers define clear objectives for their campaigns? 46% Which % time do Sr. Marketers spend on their media strategy(= largest budget item)? 2% EMM, 2005 Which % of Sales Promotions are Unprofitable? 85% UCLA, 2004Which % of German TV advertising campaigns generate negative ROI? 82% Deutsche Bank, 2004FUTURE LAB Accountability to the Business: Making Money A Forensic Investigation 16. The Reasons: Differing Strategies within the organisation Lack of integrated planning Resistance to Change Unco-operative Retailers Lack of Internal Communication Misalignment between Marketing & Sales Turf Battles Organisational Silos Source: reveries.com survey, July 2005 n = 198 US marketers FUTURE LAB Accountability to the Business: Implement Plans A Forensic Investigation 17.
- Over 80% of the ROI of any Marketing Strategy/Initiative is left to chance
- 31% of projects are canceled before completion
- 53% of projects cost nearly double of original estimates.
- only 16% of projects come in time and budget.
Source: Management Centre Europe FUTURE LAB Accountability to the Business: Implement ... At All A Forensic Investigation 18. FUTURE LAB THE VICTIM Accountability to the Business THE CRIME SCENE Accountability to the Customer THE VICTIMS WORLD Accountability to the World A Forensic Investigation 19. ACNielsen, E&Y, 2005 Which is the failure rate of US Consumer Products? 95% Which % of CEOs believe their brand provides superior customer experience 80% Bain & Company Which % of their customers actually agree? 8% Bain & Company Which % of Germans are irritated by TV advertising GfK Marktforschung FUTURE LAB Accountability to the Customer A Forensic Investigation 78% 88% PVR users adskip 20. FUTURE LAB THE VICTIM Accountability to the Business THE CRIME SCENE Accountability to the Customer THE VICTIMS WORLD Accountability to the World A Forensic Investigation 21. CASE: 25% of all bottled water in the world crosses national borders. FUTURE LAB Accountability to the World: Environment A Forensic Investigation
- Fiji New York : 13,000 km by boat & truck
- 50% of wholesale cost = transportation
- 1 million bottles/day = own electricity generation in pristine Fiji
- >50% inhabitants do not have reliable drinking water
- Glass bottle = 5x weight of plastic bottles (transport & energy)
- 2 liters of water to wash/rinse 1 liter bottle before filling
- Truck in CO2 from volcanic springwater in Tuscany
22. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grH1gK1TpW0(30 second edit) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUqPj7FLBE(45 second edit) Abroad At home FUTURE LAB Accountability to the World: People A Forensic Investigation 23. FUTURE LAB In Your Communication: Neutrality Accountability to the World: People A Forensic Investigation 24. Do youreallybelieve in what you do?Or do you wear a mask? FUTURE LAB Accountability to the World: The Self A Forensic Investigation 25. SUICIDE Who Killed Marketing? FUTURE LAB Image: http://snapesluvr.deviantart.com/art/CSI-Springfield-29131429 26. How can you avoid it happening to you? FUTURE LAB 27. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MaKHxsGZ-A&mode=related&search= Tom Knows FUTURE LAB 28. Be Accountable to the business, the customer, the world Drive or prepare to Be Driven FUTURE LAB 29. MEASURE & PREDICT BUDGET ALLOCATION Case: German insurance company Case: Indian Tea company, Greek Telco. Demonstrate Financial ROI FUTURE LAB Accountability to theBusiness 30. Make Implementation Happen Align employees, agencies, vendors, retailers,
- Companies with aligned marketing & sales
- are 38% better at closing proposals
- churn 36% less of their customers
MarketingProfs Benchmark Report 2005 FUTURE LAB Accountability to theBusiness 31. FUTURE LAB Focus Your Business on the Customer Accountability to theCustomer Create Meaningful Propositions Communicate with Respect, Insight, Passion Customer Delight at all Touchpoints 32. Life Cycle Assessment Create a win-win Aspire Neutrality Demonstrate the Profitability of Caring Accountability to theWorld FUTURE LAB 33. Challenge what has stopped making sense Look in the Mirror, Every Day... Accountability to theWorld FUTURE LAB 34. Heavy FUTURE LAB but inescapable to address its image problem, marketing needs to become more accountable ...Conclusion:The Tools Exist ... The Choice is Yours 35. FUTURE LAB To experiment with, learn about and act on marketing accountability: [email_address] SEPTEMBER 2007:M ARKETINGA CCOUNTABILITY E X PERIMENTATION LAB(MAX)