1. How to Hire Rock Star Interns Make progress not coffee
2. Road Map1. Background on InternMatch2. Nine Steps to Hiring Better Interns, Saving Time, and Getting More Done
3. Our Background New Aggregated Internships12,00010,0008,0006,0004,0002,000 0 July Aug Sept Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb March April Started in 2009 Roughly 300,000 unique student visitors in April 2012 -- growing fast Over 700 direct university connections
4. Our InternsInternMatch has now hired over 50 interns We have hired numerous campus ambassadors at schools including MIT, Harvard, Upenn, Wisc onsin, Michigan and more! ** US Employers with 20+ Employees
5. Why Hire Interns New Aggregated Internships12,00010,000 Fill in critical skill gaps8,0006,000 Pipeline for hiring4,000 Regional Expansion2,000 0 Nov March April July Aug Oct Jan Sept Dec Feb
6. Free Labor? DONT hire thinking this is a good tool for free labor DO expect to have to put some time into this process Paid interns are generally more skilled, more likely to convert to full-time and will save you time and energy.
7. Not for everyone Hiring top notch students with the right culture fit is essential for SMBs and Startups Autonomous but not automatic +50K / Contributes energy Fantastic Intern to office/team Future hire Cant test assumptions -25K / Needs to be motivated Mediocre Intern Only around for 3 months
8. #1 Have a Goal/Project in mind Specific projects make management Have a Goal/Project in mind easier and products more valuable. This resume guide was made by our first ever intern when we had no in- house designer
9. #2 Decide on Compensation Marketing/Business: $10 - $12.50/hour CS $12.50 - $20/hour MBA $12.50 - $15/hour Educational Compensation is worth more than $$$. Learning software (Basecamp, Hootsuite, etc) is huge!
10. #3 Decide on a Manager Meet once a week for coffee Have a Goal/Project in mindTell the student to ask questions Set benchmarks/goals for projects
11. #4 Define Position Nuts and Bolts Length? Typically 3- 6 months long Hours? Typically 10-40 hours per week Season? Summer you get more attention from a student
12. #5 Create a posting Pitch company Have a Goal/Project in mind Pitch education opportunity Detail the role Use our free template! Got to www.InternMatch.com/guides/gold-standard- internhip-posting
13. #6 Pimp it out Tweet about it Send it to rock star former interns Send it on to favorite TAs, professors,etc
14. #7 Always be Closing Interviews: Sell: Spend first 5 minutes talking up your company and role Be prepared: Have a list of questions ready to Have a Goal/Project in mind evaluate the student. Review: Extra-curriculars are often more important than grades. Follow-up: Setup a time to talk again with the student before making a decision. Manage expectations.
15. #8 Get Started on the right foot Let students know what they need on the job (laptop, a suite, etc) Create an email account for them Be upfront about office rules and expectations, etc
16. #9 Have Fun Interns can and should impact your culture They come and go Have a Goal/Project in mindbut you can have a truly meaningful impact on their future
17. How to find applicants? Hustle Post to universities Craigslist Let us hustle for you Post positions at www.internmatch.com/employers