- 1. Barbara Holler Visual Dictionary Spring 2009 Methods, Materials & Equipment I Final ProjectBSCI 2300 Bulldozer - Mortar
2. Bulldozer Heavy earthmoving equipment with front-mounted blades, pushes dirt, rubble, etc. around on the ground. 3. Cladding 1 of 2
- Is the exterior wall material used to enclose a building.
EIFS or Stucco Brick Cladding Imhidding Look in the Mirror 4. Cladding 2 of 2 Shingle siding Stone Wood Siding 5. Code Requirements
- Set of legal requirements or restrictions to ensure a minimum standard of health and safety in buildings.Since I live in a Studio Apt. my bedroom is also my living room, therefore the front door is my Means of Egress that meets the code requirements of at least one 3 opening as ameans of exit to the exterior, it also meets the requirement of NOT having a double keyed deadbolt.
- The Stairs meet the Code Requirements of a minimum of 10 treads and maximum of 7 risers, as well as meeting the code for having an exterior landing.
Tread 11 wide-Riser 7 high 6. Concrete Joints
- An international, linear discontinuity of a structure, designed to form a weakness to control where a crake will hopefully form. It WILL crack because of various forces, therefore a Joint is to try to minimize or eliminate cracking elsewhere in the structure.
- Isolation Joint is just as it is named.It isolates things from others, such as isolates a column from the surrounding concrete.
Control Joint Failed Isolation Joint 7. Concrete Masonry Units
- CMU is a block of hardened concrete, with or without hollow cores, in the form of a block, designed to be laid in the same manner as brick or stone.Also designed so 3 rows of brick equals the height of 1 CMU Block.
- Typical dimensions 8 high x 16 long with different widths (depth)
2 different sized CMU Standard 8H x 16L x 12 W The other 12H x 16L x 12W 8. Decorative Concrete Masonry Unit
- Are used to give a different architectural design &/or look.There are several different ways this masonry and be formed and economically manufactured.Surface patterns, textures and colors.Used in exposed use for interior or exterior walls.Split-face, scored-face, Slump, ribbed split-face, striated blocks
Split-face Block Ribbed Split-face Block In the mirror again 9. Doors
- Interior & exterior doors come in many styles, color, and patterns you can come up with anything to fit your living style & look of your home.First you have to decide where, interior swing (single or double) bi-fold, pocket, or sliding.Exterior - single hung, terrace, French, sliding, etc.Style z-brace, flush, stile-and-rail, glazed glass, the number of panels, what material, with or without sidelights.Then there are the materials you want to use and the choices go on and on.
- Sidelight tall narrow window beside door
- Transom short long window above door
2 panel door With sidelights and transom Top Rail Stile Lock Rail Panel Bottom Rail Flush Barn like door 10. Electrical Components
- Consist of many different parts to carry the direct-current voltage (electricity) from the supplier to the user.Some of these components are the Power pole, transformer for above ground service, or underground supply has a transformer box on the ground.The other items are service head, meter, service panel, duplex receptacle where the user plugs in there items electrical cord to be able to use the item.
Meters Electric Meter Measures power usage Duplex Receptacle Appliance hook-up to electric circuit Light Switch To turn electricity on to a light Power pole & transformer Converts the several thousand volts to 110/220-volt for customer use Service Panel Where electric service comes into the building, Typically with circuitbreakers for safety Service Head Its me I promise 11. Framing Components 1 of 2 #1 Anchor Bolt #2 Sill Plate #3 Floor joints& bracing #4 Subfloor #7 Top Plate #6 Stud #5 Sole Plate 12. Framing Components 2 of 2 Header Opening for window Seal Jack stud #9 Rafters Ceiling joists #8 Ceiling joists & bracing #9 Rafters #10 Roof Decking (covered with felt paper) #11 Sheathing #12 Stringer 13. Front End Loader Heavy earthmoving equipment with a very large scoop bucket to scoop up or pick-up earth, materials, or large things on a jobsite too largefor humans to pick-up. 14. Gypsum Board
- Interior wall panels of gypsum core between paper, also called drywall or plasterboard.
15. Heat Pump
- Device that uses refrigeration cycle to heat or cool a building by passing air or water over condensing coils or evaporating coils.
- Advantage -You can Heat & Cool with the same unit
- Disadvantage is not good in all climates
- Insulation helps to keep cold or hot air in or out of a building.It can be enclosed within the walls, or exterior foam panels.It is made either as loose fill or packed tightly called batt.It is made of foam, fiberglass or rigid board.
Loose Fill Batt insulation Rigid Board (2 size) Styrofoam Panel Foam Foam Insulation for small home jobs. 17. Lintel
- Carry the load of a wall across a door or window opening.Can be a beam, L-channel, or very long stone.
Steel Lintel 18. Mortar
- Substance consisting of cement material, fine aggregate and water.It is used to join masonry units together.
3/8 Extruded Mortar Joint on an Office building (is NOT tooled nor troweled) possibly type M mortar 3/8 Tooled Concave Mortar Joint on an Church building possibly type M mortar