Executive Summary of Velocity Selling: How to Attract, Engage and Empower Buyers to Buy, new sales and selling book by best-selling author Bob Urichuck. In order to succeed in sales, you need to do the opposite of selling. You must attract,engage and empower buyers to buy. Without buyers there are no sales.
1. In order to succeed in sales, you need to do the opposite of selling. You must attract, engage and empower buyers to buy. Without buyers there are no sales. Once you understand how buyers buy and how they control the sales process, you will want to change how you conduct your sales. Harness the power of Velocity Selling to learn a non-traditional buyer-focused sales system that will boost your sales volume while contributing to your bottom line. As opposed to teaching selling skills, it teaches you how to facilitate the buying process by putting your focus on the buyer and how to attract, engage and empower them to buy. As simple as A, B, C, D, it starts by building a solid foundation: ATTITUDE: belief in yourself, your organization, and the buyer BEHAVIOR: effective habits toward yourself, your organization, and the buyer COMPETENCIES: a systematic approach to engaging and empowering buyers to buy, if they are qualified DISCIPLINES: practices that need to be maintained for continuous success EXECUTIVE SUMMARY of VELOCITY SELLING: How to Attract, Engage and Empower Buyers to Buy VelocitySellingBook.com Bob Urichuck
2. vii TABLE OF CONTENTS Foreword ix Preface xi Step-by-Step Overview xiii The Understanding of Four Key Words 1 1. Success: From the Inside Out 3 2. Motivation, Internal vs. External 6 3. Discipline: Doing What You Have to Do 8 4. Attitude, Under Whose Control? 11 Attitude: Belief from Within 15 Attitude Toward YOU 17 Attitude Toward Your Organization 49 Attitude Toward Your Buyers 52 Behavior: Your Bottom Line 59 Behavior Toward Yourself 61 Behavior Toward Your Organization 94 Behaviors Toward Your Buyers 106 VelocitySellingBook.com
3. viii | VELOCITY SELLING Competenciesthe Buyer Focused 127 Velocity Selling System, Part 1 The Four Steps on How Buyers Buy 131 Universal Needs of Buyers 135 The Three Competencies You Need to Master First 137 Competenciesthe Buyer Focused 167 Velocity Selling System, Part 2 1. Building Relationships 173 2. Qualifying Buyer Opportunities 185 3. Prescribing Solutions 199 4. Maintaining Buyer Relationships 210 Discipline: Doing What You Have to Do 217 Discipline Toward Yourself 219 Discipline Toward Your Organization 224 Discipline Toward Your Buyers 228 The Step-by-Step Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System Reference Summary and Post-Call Review 233 About the Author 235 Bibliography 237 Velocity Selling Virtual Training 238 The Salesmans Prayer 240 VelocitySellingBook.com
4. ix FOREWORD by Brian Tracy, Author, Unlimited Sales Success As you know, we all need sales to survive. But, we need buyers to make sales. Once you understand how buyers buy and how they control the sales process, you will want to change how you conduct your sales. Buyers follow a system, and so should salespeople. The system must attract, engage and empower the buyer to buy especially considering todays new economy of buyers. Allow me to introduce you to Bob Urichucks Buyer Focused Velocity Selling Systema simple non-traditional step-by-step sales process that attracts, engages and empowers buyers to buy while increasing the velocity of your selling cycle, and your bottom line. For the last fteen years, using Singapore and Dubai as his ongoing hubs for Asia and the Middle East, Bob has personally worked with Fortune 500 companies and mid-size businesses in over forty-ve countries, spending up to thirty days a year in the air, for those who had the budget to invest in hiring him. Now he has made his Velocity Selling System accessible and aordable to all through this book and through his continuous learning, interactive video-based virtual sales training system at VelocitySelling.com. I highly recommend the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System and its step- by-step approach. It allows you to learn a step at a time, apply and master it in VelocitySellingBook.com
5. x | VELOCITY SELLING the real world, and come back and learn the next step. Aordable, accessible and continuous learning at its best. The Velocity Selling System will help you attract, engage and empower more buyers, shorten your sales cycle, increase your margins and revenue and generate the bottom line results you are looking for, without the costs of travel, accommodation or costly sales trainers. Velocity Selling is an easy and enjoyable read that will take you through the system in a simple A, B, C, D format. No matter if you are selling online, oine, over the telephone or face-to-face, you will learn the fundamentals of communications and human interaction. You will learn the importance of having a strong foundation upon which to build Attitude. You will discover how daily Behaviors will lead to an increased bottom line, while getting you the best return on your time. You will then learn the Competencies of the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System and end with your well-dened Disciplines that will keep you on top of realizing your goals personally and professionally. With all the manipulative sales techniques removed from the process, you will experience stronger buyer relationships, faster sales cycles, higher margins and prots, and improved closing ratios. You will have more satised customers and more referrals. Ultimately you will Up Your Bottom Line in weeks, not months. Velocity Selling is a must-read for sales professionals independents and corporate sales teams, entrepreneurs, business owners, non-selling professionals and anyone who wants to learn from the foundation up how to be in control of the sales process, shorten sales cycles, be sought after, make more money and much, much more The time has come. Enjoy the learning! VelocitySellingBook.com
6. xi PREFACE are slow to buy, sales cycles are too long, control of the sales process has been lost, the bottom line is behind projections Most organizations today are aware that the economy has brought on a shift from selling during the boom times to attracting, engaging and empowering the new economy of buyers to buy. One absolute fact is that the traditional and consultative sales methods no longer work. While these methods still work in certain selling situations, its becoming increasingly clear that their eectiveness is waning. The sales cycle is longer than need be and margins are dropping. Buyers have been educated by salespeople regarding all imaginable sales techniques. As a result, salespeople have taught buyers everything they know and buyers have developed a process to counteract the actions of salespeople. Unfortunately, salespeople dont even realize they have lost control. The buyers are in control of the interaction during the sales process, not the salespeople. Over time, buyers became appalled by our high-pressure tactics, sleazy sales gimmicks and manipulative closing techniques. And as information became easier to gather and to evaluate via the internet, they gained more control. Buyers today can purchase whatever they want, whenever they want and without a salesperson confronting them and taking up their valuable time. The top buyer complaint about salespeople, and I quote, is they waste my time.
7. xii | VELOCITY SELLING In fact, in the past ve years, the emerging power and accessibility of information over the web has nally tipped the scales of power to the buyer. The buyers are in control. In order to succeed in sales you need to do the opposite of selling. You need to attract, engage and empower buyers to buy. The sales process has to be transformed into a no-pressure exchange where getting to the truth and building a relationship is the goal. It becomes more important to bring in the right buyers for the right reasons instead of simply making a sales pitch or even a sale. If you truly and sincerely want to be the problem solver, then do away with the traditional or consultative approach with todays new economy of buyers. Sales has been a way of life for me since I was a boy. I was raised in a small family business and, thanks to both of my late parents, I was exposed to the world of sales. You may say I was raised to be in sales and for that I am really grateful. After graduating from college with honors in business administration, I got involved in multi-level and network marketing, became a door-to-door salesperson, and then later joined a major oil corporation in a sales and marketing capacity. I had a passion for land development and started developing and selling land. I then got involved with the majorssome of the worlds leading land developers and buildersin mass sales and large-price boardroom selling. Up until that point I had no formal sales training, but I realized that the world revolved around sales, although it was not and is still not a well-respected profession. I intend to change that perception to one of high respect and recognition. Later in life, while working with a major corporation, I positioned myself into their newly formed sales training department. I had to come up with a sales training program within one year. During that year, I attended over thirty of the worlds top sales training programs. While I was doing my job and recommending a program to the organization, I also did a best-practice analysis and created the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System. For over fteen years now, I have trained business owners, entrepreneurs, selling and non-selling professionals and organizations of all sizes in a variety of industries from leading airlines to automobiles, banking, insurance, investments, real estate, pharmaceuticals, hotels and resorts, tourism, high-end jewelry, high technology, oil and gas, media, transportation, to major learning institutions, associations and government departments in over forty-ve countrieson the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System. The system has proven itself on bottom-line results time and time again and gained me recognition as one of the Worlds Top 5 Sales Gurus. It is now your turn to learn all about it.
8. xiii The Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System STEP-BY-STEP OVERVIEW in sales, you need to do the opposite of selling. You must attract, engage and empower buyers to buy. Without buyers, there are no sales. The bottom line: no buyers, no sales, no revenue. Sales now revolve around buyers. Buyers are everywhere. What are you doing to help them buy? Once you understand how buyers buy and how they control the sales process, you will want to change how you conduct your sales. Buyers follow a system, and so should salespeople. The system must attract, engage and empower the buyer to buy, especially considering todays new economy of buyers. The Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System is a sales process based on a return on time invested (ROTI) formula. With all the manipulative sales techniques and upfront presentations removed from the process, salespeople experience stronger client relationships, faster sales cycles, higher margins and prots, and improved closing ratios. You will have more satised customers, more attraction, more introductions and referrals, and a much improved bottom line. The Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System is not a quick x. It is not about better sales techniques and tricks to manipulate a prospect. It is honest, ethical and buyer-focused, which requires a dierent mindset, not only for the salesperson but for their management as well.
9. xiv | VELOCITY SELLING The new economy of selling is about buyers. The Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System ensures that you and/or your sales team are engaged in a step- by-step process to take ownership. The result: They Execute the Disciplines of Attracting, Engaging and Empowering the Velocity Selling Cycle, to Up Your Bottom Line. Learning the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System is as simple as A, B, C, D. It is crucial to your overall success that you begin with a strong foundation to support the productive behaviors and the appropriate competencies within the Velocity Selling System. A. You cant build anything without a solid foundation. The A is for Attitude: Belief from Withinthe foundation of all successful people. There are three steps in this category: 1. Attitude Toward YOU This is the foundation to success, as everything revolves around you and your attitude toward yourself. You will learn how to take hold of your attitude, realize it is yours and develop an attitude of self-respect and self-condence. You will discover what is holding you back and how to overcome fear. You will realize what is within your control and what is not. You will get to know who you really are, from the inside out, and how to be the best you can be. 2. Attitude Toward Your Organization You will reect, conrm and take hold of your attitude toward your organization, its products and services, and fellow team members. You will develop an owners mentality and aim to improve. You will know how to identify your successes and become proactive in all that you do, while contributing to team eectiveness. 3. Attitude Toward Your Buyers You will reect, conrm and take hold of your win-win attitude as it pertains to the market and its buyers. You will realize that perceptions usually become reality and you will dene the perceptions you want buyers to have of you. In turn, you will demonstrate a captivating attitude. You will also learn how to analyze and evaluate the competition in your market and use that information to your advantage. A positive attitude alone is not enough to guarantee long-term success. Goals and an action plan are needed to get you where you want to gothey are the bottom line to success.
10. The B is for Behavior:Your Bottom Line-the daily actions that are required to accomplish goals. The three steps in this category are: 1. Behavior Toward Yourself You will learn on your own personal level to understand the relationship between consistent positive behaviors and success. You will identify and develop personal goals and action plans based on your desires, while creating permanent self-motivation. As you learn to accept a new positive behavior toward yourself, you will become more successful in all that you do. 2. Behavior Toward Organization You will follow the same procedures to develop goals, action plans and behaviors for organizational objectives as you did for personal goals. You will learn how to track your behaviors to understand and improve on your call- to-close ratio. You will learn how to treat your job as your business and to develop an owners mentality and be proactive, not reactive. You will learn how to take control of your daily pay-time and no-pay-time behaviors and to focus on your time management skills. The bottom-line results, in numbers, come from demonstrating the appropriate behaviors, which you will dene in this process. 3. Behavior Toward Your Buyers By focusing your sales eorts through the 80/20 rule and the Velocity Selling A, B, C buyer target model, you will discover your best ROTIreturn on time invested. You will learn and create retain and regain buyer strategies. You will learn and create a gain strategy using a personal marketing plan that will position you as an expert in your marketplace and attract the right buyers for your products or services. In other words, you will have buyers chasing you and you will never have to chase buyers again! You now have a new and improved attitude and goal-driven behaviors. Now it is time to discuss the C, which stands for Competencies: the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling. Just like any other professionala doctor or lawyer, for instancea sales professional requires certain competencies. In this section, you are going to learn the required competencies to be in control of the sales process and to be a success in sales whether your
11. xvi | VELOCITY SELLING communications with a buyer are conducted face-to-face, by the telephone, by networking, or via e-mail. Competencies is divided into two parts: In Part 1 you will learn how buyers buy and what universal needs all buyers have. Then you will learn the three major competencies that you need to master rst: 1. How to be buyer-focused to gain trust and shorten the sales cycle. 2. How to engage buyers by learning and applying advanced questioning and listening techniques that will help you stay in control and keep the buyer engaged and talking. 3. How to empower the buyer to buy through self-discovery. You will also learn the ve positive outcomes to a sales call and how to use them to your advantage on every sales call. In Part 2 you will learn the four-step Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System step by step. This process has been tried and proven internationally in all kinds of industries, across varied goods and services, online, over the telephone and in face- to-face situations. Without the required competencies of the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling system, time is wasted, sales cycles are longer, margins are poor and there are no meaningful bottom-line results. The four steps that you will learn to master are: 1. Building Relationships Sales is a process. The rst step of the Velocity Selling System is to build rapport to gain the buyers trust. Without trust, nothing will happen. You will learn techniques on how to build rapport in the rst thirty seconds of meeting someone, allowing you to start a relationship with velocity. 2. Qualifying Buyer Opportunities You will learn how to know when rapport has been established and to transition into step 2. You will learn how to initiate qualifying buyer opportunities by engaging the buyer into setting parameters or ground rules for the interaction, putting the buyer at ease and eliminating surprises. You will learn how to use your new questioning techniques to uncover the buyers buying motivators, his/her nancial ability, and the decision-making hierarchy, and to then summarize your ndings to determine whether or not you can help the buyer. This process lets you qualify the buyer at a
12. much deeper level, organizationally and personally, prior to making a proposal or presentation, allowing you to shorten your sales cycle and generate better ROTI return on time invested. 3. Prescribing Solutions In this step you will learn how to prescribe solutions in proposal and/or presentation formats that are specic to the identied buying motivators, nancial ability and decision-making capabilities. You will learn the importance of the rule to sell today, and educate tomorrow and how you can give the buyer more value, leading to more word-of-mouth referrals. You will also learn how to empower the buyer to buy; how to deal upfront with potential back outs, such as buyers remorse and competitors; and how to ask for referrals. 4. Maintaining Buyer Relationships Now that the buyer has purchased your prescribed solution, you will learn how to educate the buyer and give them additional value, while creating a secondary sales force of new buyer introductions and referrals. In addition, you will learn how to maintain a solid long-term relationship, increasing your network and your net worth. At this point of the learning, you should now have a new and improved attitudebased on beliefs from within, with bottom-line goal-driven proactive ROTI behaviorsand mastered the competencies of the Buyer Focused Velocity Selling System. Now it is time to discuss the D, which stands for Disciplines: Doing What You Have to Do. Discipline is the key to your success. Discipline is a commitment to the most important person in the world. It means doing what you have to do, even when you dont want to do it. Bob Urichuck As you complete each of the previously mentioned categories and chapters, you have the opportunity to identify those daily, weekly and monthly disciplines that you need to put into action. Now it is time to gather and summarize these into your daily disciplines based on the following three steps.
13. ABOUT BOB URICHUCK Bob Urichuck is an International Professional Speaker, Trainer and best-selling Author in six languages. His latest books Velocity Selling: How to Attract, Engage & Empower Buyers to Buy, and How to Motivate Your Team in 30 Days (co-authored with his son, Dave)are new in 2014. He is a Certified Master Trainer (CMT), Sales Professional (CSP) and Social Entrepreneur (CSE). Bob loves what he doesinspiring, educating and empowering individuals and organizations to significantly increase their performance capability while constantly improving the quality of their lives and the lives of others with whom they come in contact. Bob is founder of the international firm Bob Urichuck Management Inc. (bobu.com). Using Singapore, Dubai and Ottawa as his ongoing hubs, Bob has spoken in over 1,500 cities in over 45 countries to audiences with as many as 10,000 participants at one event. He is the creator of the Buyer-Focused Velocity selling system: a simple non-traditional step-by-step sales process that attracts, engages and empowers buyers to buy. VelocitySelling.com is an innovative web-based learning platform that provides continuous learning that is affordable and accessible 24/7. VelocitySellingBook.com