This is a digital strategy brand hands-on tutorial/workshop I never ended up using. Made in 2006 for OMG.tv. I think it's a pretty good place to start when looking for an online strategy/social media play.
It’s not the same as advertising• New medium with different rules• You need to understand the rules or
get someone who does• Traditional advertising rules will not
work• Most of the web & advertising
agencies don’t have that knowledge
What’s it about?
Planning is everything• Digital strategy is your plan of attack• Don’t just do it because you can
• Research the playing field• Come up with your unique solution• launch
Digital strategy • Research• Targeting• The idea• Execution• Marketing• Measuring• Improving
Research• The competition• Your brand• Your audience• Your budget• Your timeline
The competition• What are they doing in the digital
space? • Find out how high should your brand
jump to be innovative• How can you be different?• Do not try and beat them on their
own field! The price war has it’s price!
Brand assets• Name, logo• Position in market place• Current customers• Brick and mortar Stores
Digital assets• Digital properties that grow in value
• A website does not grow in valueEven though you might get more visitors they are not your audience• A blog grows in value as users are audience (keep coming back, passing on the link,commenting etc)
• Does your brand have digital assets?
Customer touch points
What am I selling?• Nike is not selling shoes – it is selling
an “I can” feeling.• What feelings do you give to your
users when they use your product/service?
• What does your audience want to feel/hear?
• This is what you should be selling!
My audience• Who are your customers?• Do you have an audience?• How do you communicate with
them?• Who are your evangelists?• Can I offer something to a different
Where are your users?• What social communities are they
on?• Where are your evangelists?
Exercise one• What’s your brand?• What are you selling?• Who are your audience?• What are they doing on the web?• Who are your evangelists?• What are they doing on the web?
What’s your problem?• Your audience is getting older and
you need to reach younger demographic?
• Your competitors are pushing you out?
• You don’t have an email list?• You have weak period
What’s my goal?• To be the most innovative brand?• To get 20,000 new users?• To take over summer?• To get free PR?• To save money?• To get a different target
demographic?• To find audience for a new product?
The digital tools• Blogs• Podcasts• User generated content• Social communities• Mobile phones, ipods, psps• wikis• Web 2.0 applications
What’s your budget considerations look like?
• I want to try before I buy• I’m taking everything from TV and
putting on digital media• I want to have an holistic campaign• I don’t understand how this web
thing is costing like a TV campaign
What's your timeline considerations look like?
• I want short and fast• I want to build slowly and
methodically• I want to experiment, deep my toe• I need a summer promotion• I want to target a different
demographic with a specific product/service
Exercise two• Come up with a problem to solve• Come up with a goal• What is the best digital tool/s for the
job and why• Put a budget and timeline
Users, users, users• Does your users trust you?• Where are the week points in your
consumer touching points?
How well do you treat them?
• Does your users need to hold the line For a long time on your customer Service line? • Do your sales representatives educate as well as sell?• Do you have only a form at your website contact area?
Happy users graph
More options to interactDiscovery
the OMG factorPlay a game
Give something they need
Nothing to say
What you give is what you get• Give away a car – get few users for a
short time• Give away conversation,
engagement, fun, content, something that empowers the user – get evangelists for life time
What can I give?
• Education – 25 points• Help - 35 points• Entertainment – 50 points• Power – 75 points• Service – 75 points• Personalization – 100 points
The idea• Don’t do same• Try using a few digital tools• Give users a reason to engage• Give something for free• Be authentic• Tie with a specific event/date
Check list• Is the user kicking ass?• Is it something users will talk about?• Will this help you to reach your goal?• Did I maximize digital tools?• Is this a “world changing” idea?• Will the media talk about it?• Can this idea be monetized?
Exercise three• What do you give your users now?(brochure, loyalty points, free game)• How will you rate it from the user
perspective? • Do they need what you give them?• Come up with a user focused idea –
something that will enhance users life
1. Learn from the best• google, youtube, myspace.• How can your brand be more like
them?• Think like a start up – making your
evangelists spreading your message, saving money on advertising and making your users your firs concern.
2. Step out of the category• What can you take from other
category?• DIY delivery service? Think about
your brand making cars…• The Nudie story• Think like the big guys: can you do
something that google does?
3. Look for the purple cow• Something people will talk about• Something different• Something surprising• A story• A game• A world
Your business is media• The way you communicate is in your
hands. • Use digital media more freely, more
cheap more targeted, effective.
Brand channel• A brand becomes a lifestyle,
broadcaster, entertainer.• What can you offer? Which shows will
be popular? What will be your brand channel?
Exercise four• Brand channel programming• Write down a day in your brand
channel. Which shows will be on and when? Which is the target audience for every show? Who is going to manage/film/develop it?
Exercise five• Can you have a revenue channel?• Did you think about mobile phone?• Can you make some alliances?
• How much will you save?• (bonus question: what is your cost
acquisition per customer if you spend 20 million on advertising?)
Execution• Do they understand this new
medium?• Do they know strategy or only the
technology?• what do you have In-house?•
Who is going to:• Research your brand• Strategize the plan• Manage the team/operation• Make the thing• Keep it going• Launch it• Measure it• Improve it
Marketing - traditional• Using traditional media – TV, outdoor• Mass reach but evangelist poor• Costly• Quick?
Marketing - digital• Using digital space – blogs, podcasts,
social communities, viral marketing• Niche reach but evangelists rich• Cheaper than traditional media• Viral marketing is probably the
More marketing• Choose the holistic approach• Choose to do nothing
• The form of marketing you choose depends on your problem, goal, timeline and budget
Exercise six• How will you market your idea?• Give a number of ways
• Is this seats well with your budget/timeline?
Measuring• Measuring is far easier on the web
than traditional channels
• Checking your stats• Find out what the stats mean
Improving• Invite feedback• Monitor feedback• Improve - one thing at a time• Monitor feedback• Improve again
• Users expect you to keep improving• Users want you to surprise them with
more than hidden fees
Exercise 7• What was your expectation?• Did you under deliver? Meet