Content marketing is not some new phenomenon, thought up . The rules and processes we follow are the same as the ones that have been used for hundreds of years. In fact, the only difference between the content marketers of the 21st century and the self-published authors of the 19th century is the tool set we have at our disposal. Visit our blog: http://theninjamarketingblog.com/ Follow us on Twitter: @NinjaMarketBlog
Text of Content Marketing (As Explained by Mark Twain)
Content Marketing As explained by Mark Twain
Content marketing is nothing new
Its something humans have been doing for decades hundreds of years
So why do we act like Inbound Marketing is some new, innovative idea?
Back in the day they didnt call it Inbound Marketing.
They called it Self-Publishing
The only things that have truly changed are the tools we use to generate content
So, please allow me to share some content marketing tips
From one of the worlds best known self-publishers
and one of the best content marketers in American history
Hello. Mark Twain
1. Produce something every day
Do something every day that you dont want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.
1. Produce something every day o Practice really does makes perfect o You dont have to publish every day (although thats ideal), but you must get in the habit of creating one piece of content every single day. o Start by writing about what is happening in the news, then find a way to tie it to your product.
2. Timeliness is next to Godliness
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.
2. Timeliness is next to Godliness o Timely content is relative content o Creating content around newsworthy events is a great way to drive organic traffic o You can plan timely content weeks in advance simply by looking at upcoming holidays and events
3. Take (calculated) risks
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
3. Take (calculated) risks o If youre afraid to fail, you already have. o Taking calculated risks helps you test new ground and reach new audiences. o Document your risks, learn from your failures, and replicate your successes.
4. Talk about what you know
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
4. Talk about what you know o Remember that there is a difference between calculated risks and unnecessary risks. o You cant be all things to all people, and you shouldnt try to write about everything. o Dont try to trick your audience. They can tell when your content isnt genuine.
5. Embrace your errors
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.
5. Embrace your errors o You will make errors. o Yes, you will. o Dont hide from them. Acknowledge them, fix them, and learn from them. Doing so will make your audience more likely to forgive you for them.
6. Your brand is everything
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.
6. Your brand is everything o Make your content easy to consume. o Take the time to build your brand by producing and publishing high quality content. o Make content that people will share and link back to. This will not only improve your SEO, it will keep them coming back for more.
7. Creativity, Creatividy, Creativitee
I dont give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
7. Creativity, Creatividy, Creativitee o Let your voice and personality shine through. o Find your style and run with it across all mediums. o Humans crave new experiences. If you give them something theyve never seen, they will remember you.
8. You must be original
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
8. You must be original o Original content is memorable content. o Dont worry about what your competitors are doing. Set the precedent for your industry. o Step away from your computer for 30 minutes each week to brainstorm new content ideas, then take the craziest idea and make it happen.
9. Dont take yourself too seriously
Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
9. Dont take yourself too seriously o If you can make someone laugh, they will love you forever (no seriously, its science). o If you dont have a good time creating it, they wont have a good time consuming it. o The internet is a hostile environment. If you cant laugh at yourself, youre going to get fried.
10. Finish strong.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
PS: Takeaways o Create (timely) content every day. o Take calculated risks and learn from mistakes o Creative, funny content will never fail o Never challenge Mark Twain to a duel
Thanks for reading! Visit theninjamarketingblog.com