- Connect and Engage Better with Provocation-based Selling
Connect and Engage Better with Provocation-based Selling
Today's buyer has been forced to do-more-with-less, and has less time than ever before to uncover their issues, and explore solution options. How can you sell to a prospect if they are unaware of the opportunity or priority of the issues you can address, and that indeed a remedy exists?
- 1. TOM PISELLO, Chairman & FounderBlog: http://blog.alinean.comTwitter: @tpisellohttp://www.alinean.com http://www.fightfrugalnomics.com Diagnosing Customer Issues: Connect and Engage with Provocative Selling & Assessment Tools
- 2. Todays Economic-Focused Buyer http://www.fightfrugalnomics.com 2011 Alinean, Inc. 2
- 3. Successive Downturns Cause Fundamental & Permanent Change B2B Spending Annual Growth12.0%10.0% Tech Bubble 8.0% 6.0% Great Recession 4.0% 2.0% 0.0%-2.0% 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011-4.0%-6.0%-8.0% IDC 2010 IDC historical spend Forecast compiled from IDC, Forrester, Gartner and Goldman Sachs Two successive downturns in past 10 years have permanently changed buyers Affected technology marketplace first: Prior: Innovation, growth, time to market, features / functions drove purchases After: Saving money, bottom-line impact, best value and fast payback Great Recession downturn reinforcing / accelerating this fundamental change All areas of economy impacted for all of B2B purchase decisions 2011 Alinean, Inc. 3
- 4. The Economic-Buyer SizeMore Leads to Close Same Executive Scrutiny Reduced Deal Size Amount of Business Longer Sales Cycles Increased CompetitionMore Stakeholders Stalled Deals 2011 Alinean, Inc. 4
- 5. Internet Fueled Buying Cycles Buyers do more research independently and online Arm themselves with ideas, solution, competitive product knowledge Firmly in control of buying process Using online vendor content + 3rd party sources / social groups Inviting sales later, after set strategy, budget and solution roadmap At Same Time, Perceived Sales Readiness Is On the Decline Not Prepared Well Prepared 29% 35% Somewhat Prepared 36% IDC 2010 2011 Alinean, Inc. 5
- 6. CFOs & Executives: Large and In Charge #1 Reason for NOT Meeting Sales Quotas Inability to Communicate Value Messages (27%) SiriusDecisions 2010 Only 38% of sales reps understand the customers issues and can identify how vendor can help Forrester 2010 CFOs responsible for more groups Taking control of strategy + buying-cycle More financial due-diligence on allpurchases 2011 Alinean, Inc. 6
- 7. A New Selling Approach is Required http://www.fightfrugalnomics.com 2011 Alinean, Inc. 7
- 8. Fight Frugalnomics with Value Selling & MarketingProduct Focus Solution Focus Value FocusDiscussion: Discussion: Discussion: Customer knows issue Prescriptive & Quantified Customer knows issues & Tie features / functions to desired outcome Discover Is customer needs aware of issue? Questions to discover pain Compares product points alternatives Diagnose How bad is it? Feature Function Price Recommend solution to Quantify Value of change solve pain Compare Value vs. StatusDrive: Sales Led: Product Drive: Sales Led: Pain-Point Quo / CompetitionDriven Driven Drive: Diagnostic Led: What is issue & value of change? Solution Vendor Trusted Advisor Provider 2011 Alinean, Inc. 8
- 9. Product / Solution Selling Still Reigns Forrester Sales Enablement Forum- 2011 2011 Alinean, Inc. 9
- 10. Strategic Vendors Reap Rewards More Opportunities Greater Deal Size Shorter Sales Cycles Greater Competitive Advantage 2011 Alinean, Inc. 10
- 11. Facilitating the Buyers JourneyBUYERS JOURNEY Loosening Exploring Committing Justifying Committing Making the of the possible to a the to change selection status quo solutions solution decision DISCOVERY CONSIDERATION DECISIONContent Marketing & Sales Enablement Strategy Help Align Align buyer solution Validate/ Create reinforce problem with identify with Make the awareness choice business needs in specific business casearound a new issues; drive solving sets of for change Prove best problem urgency the business value problem needs 2011 Alinean, Inc. 11
- 12. Loosening the Status QuoBUYERS JOURNEY Loosening Exploring Committing Justifying Committing Making the of the possible to a the to change selection status quo solutions solution decision DISCOVERY CONSIDERATION DECISIONContent Marketing & Sales Enablement Strategy Help Align Align buyer solution Validate/ Create reinforce problem with identify with Make the awareness choice business needs in specific business casearound a new issues; drive solving sets of for change Prove best problem urgency the business value problem needs Buyers Are: Risk adverse / overloaded Easier to do nothing than change Dont have time to fully understand issues Executive driven / CFO aligned Internet fueled / Sales often not engaged yet 2011 Alinean, Inc. 12
- 13. Provocation-Based SellingProspects Dont Buy a Solution For a Problem They Dont Know They Have - Seth GodinIn a Downturn, Provoke Your Customers (Geoffrey Moore)1. Illuminate issues, of which they might not have been aware2. Confirm the symptoms they were aware of, but could not easily put a name on3. Prioritize which issues require the most ardent pursuit4. Quantify the competitive or other value which may be achieved by resolving the issue (creating urgency)5. Recommend, based on priorities, a solution roadmap to stepwise remedy the issues. 2011 Alinean, Inc. 13
- 14. Implement Provocation-Based Selling with Diagnostic Assessment Tools http://www.fightfrugalnomics.com 2011 Alinean, Inc. 14
- 15. Discovery - Diagnose with Assessment Tools Connect and engage early in sales process Stimulate change and loosen status-quo Survey current spending and practices Diagnose issues Benchmark status quo versus competition and leaders Recommend improvement strategies Map solutions to improvement strategy 3rd party validation to improve credibility 15 15 2011 Alinean, Inc.
- 16. Profile for Benchmarking Benchmark comparisons Typically by industry, location and size 2011 Alinean, Inc. 16
- 17. Survey Survey Questions Multiple Choice, Pulldowns, Quantifications, Rankings Spending, Sentiment or Current Practice Questions Dont Force Customer to Fill All In prior to Seeing Some Results 2011 Alinean, Inc....