2. Ability refers to an individuals capacity to perform the various tasks in a job. It is a current assessment of what one can do.
3. Intellectual Ability Physical Ability
4. Intellectual abilities are abilities needed to perform mental activities like, thinking, reasoning, problem solving etc. Smart people generally earn more money & attain higher levels of education. Tests such as SAT,CAT, GMAT etc. are designed to ascertain a persons general intellectual abilities.
6. Number Aptitude: Ability to do speedy and accurate arithmetic. Verbal Comprehension Ability to understand what is read or heard and the relationship of words to each other.
7. Perceptual Speed : Ability to identify visual similarities & differences, quickly & accurately. Inductive Reasoning: Ability to identify a logical sequence in a problem & then solve a problem. Deductive Reasoning: Ability to use logic & assess the implications of an argument.
8. Spatial Visualization: Ability to imagine how an object would look if its position in space would change. Memory: Ability to retain and recall past experiences.
9. Intelligence Dimensions are positively related. For eg. If you score high on Verbal Comprehension you are more likely to score high on Spatial Visualization.
10. The test was developed by Eldon Wonderlic. It is a popular group intelligence test used to assess the aptitude of prospective employees for learning and problem- solving in a range of occupations.
11. While intelligence is a big help in performing a job well, it doesnt make people happier or more satisfied with their jobs. The correlation between intelligence & job satisfaction is about Zero.
12. The Employee Aptitude Survey (EAS) consists of 10 tests specifically designed to measure cognitive, perceptual, and psychomotor abilities required for successful performance in a wide variety of occupations. The tests are published separately and can be selected to form custom batteries.
13. The capacity to do tasks that demand stamina, dexterity, strength, and similar characteristics.
14. Strength Factors: Dynamic Strength: Ability to exert muscular force repeatedly or continuously over time. Trunk Strength: Ability to exert muscular strength using the trunk muscle.
15. Static Strength: Ability to exert force against external objects. Explosive Strength: Ability to expend a maximum amount of energy in one or a series of explosive acts.
16. Flexibility Factors Extent Flexibility: Ability to move the trunk and back muscles as far as possible. Dynamic Flexibility: Ability to make rapid, repeated flexing movements.
17. Other Factors Body Coordination: Ability to coordinate the simultaneous actions of different parts of the body Balance: Ability to maintain equilibrium despite forces pulling off balance. Stamina: Ability to continue maximum effort requiring prolonged effort over time.
18. Ability-Job Fit Employees Abilities Jobs Ability Requirements
19. A high ability-job fit necessary for improved job performance Lack of fit leads to performance problems If, Ability < Job Requirements basic cause of poor performance Ability > Job Requirements organizational inefficiency and job dissatisfaction Jobs make differing demands on people and that people differ in their abilities
20. What Should Managers Do? Ability directly influences employees level of performance. An effective selection process & job analysis should be done. Managers need to focus on ability in selection, promotion, and transfer. Fine-tune job to fit incumbents abilities.
21. CFOs were asked, "In your opinion, which one of the following is the most common reason for an employee's failure to advance at your company?" Their responses: Poor interpersonal ability -30% Poor work ethic -25% Not developing new skills- 23% Failure to enhance his or her visibility within the organization-15% Failure to proactively seek promotions and career advancement- 5% None of these-1% Don't know/no answer-2%
22. Accounting or finance-32% Information technology-29% Soft skills (communication and interpersonal abilities)-19% Management-17% None of these-2% Don't know/no answer-2%