1. 2 INTRODUCTORY COMMENTS Growth numbers are building back to pre-recession levels. The median 2014 growth expectation is 9 percent. The customer segment that demands insight from vendors looms large in many growth strategies. Many organizations are, however, under-investing in the sales resources to deliver meaningful business insights to this segment. Organizations with the highest growth ambitions are investing in such resources and enablement tools. This eBook provides top-line findings on 2014 growth expectations and the associated sales strategies.
2. 3 2013/14 SALES PULSE SURVEY DEMOGRAPHICS Typical Revenue: $1.0 - $5.0 Billion Industries Represented: Tech, Medical Device, Business Services, General Manufacturing, Financial Services and Consumer 93COMPANIES 608AVERAGE SALES FORCE SIZE A good cross-section of size and industry with which to obtain some directional insight into 2014 plans.
3. 4 THE 2013/2014 SALES PULSE SURVEY COVERED A VARIETY OF INDUSTRIES
4. 5 PARTICIPANTS WERE FROM BOTH THE FORTUNE 1000 AND THE MID-MARKET
5. 6 THE AVERAGE PARTICIPANT HAD A SIGNIFICANT SALES FORCE IN 2013
6. 7 WITH MEDIAN EXPECTED GROWTH OF 9% IN 2014 COMPANIES ARE RAMPING EXPECTATIONS TO PRE-RECESSION LEVELS
7. 8 THERE WAS A WIDE RANGE OF GROWTH EXPECTATION FOR 2014 with extremely aggressive high-end objectives.
8. 9 AVERAGE QUOTA ATTAINMENT WAS FLAT BETWEEN 2012 AND 2013 What percent of sales plan did your sales force achieve in 2012? What percent do you estimate will achieve it in 2013?
9. 10 MOST COMPANIES EXPECT SELLERS TO ACHIEVE QUOTA IN 2014 DESPITE AN AGGRESSIVE GROWTH PLAN What percent of sales plan do you estimate your sellers will achieve in 2013?
10. 11 MOST PARTICIPANTS SAY THEY WILL NEED TO GROW FASTER THAN INDUSTRY TO ACHIEVE GROWTH GOALS
11. 12 MOST RESPONDENTS ARE CONFIDENT THEY WILL ACHIEVE 2014 GROWTH OBJECTIVES
12. 13 HALF OF RESPONDENTS FEEL THE VALUE SEGMENT IS GROWING FASTER THAN OTHER SEGMENTS
13. 14 ON AVERAGE ONE-THIRD OF REVENUE IS DERIVED FROM VALUE- CENTRIC CUSTOMERS Indicate the percent of revenue you derive from value-oriented customers that want to partner with vendors to improve results.
14. 15 EXECUTIVES DESCRIBE WHAT SEPARATES VALUE-CENTRIC CUSTOMERS FROM THE REST
15. 16 HELPING CUSTOMERS IMPROVE EFFICIENCY WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT VALUE PROVIDED
16. 17 SOLUTION/PROCESS EXPERTISE WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT MEANS OF IMPROVING EFFICIENCY
17. 18 THE FOLLOWING KEY INITATIVES WILL STRENGTHEN VALUE SELLING IN 2014
18. 19 CONCLUDING COMMENTS Executives, even those with the most aggressive growth ambitions, appear confident they will achieve their 2014 objectives. Organizations with the highest growth objectives are investing more aggressively in building their sales organizations and support resources. Some of this investment is targeted to serve the growing insight segment where success requires a sales function that can deliver wisdom and expertise. Some investment is aimed at serving mid-market customers more efficiently. Observation: High growth companies are investing in their sales functions to stimulate and sustain growth in multiple account segments. Conclusion: If you expect growth, invest in your sales function!
19. 20 2014 CSE FORUMS THREE FORUMS ONE POWERFUL DIRECTION Operations Forum: Chicago April 23-24 | InterContinental Hotel Strategy Forum: New York June 18-19 | InterContinental Barclay Hotel Annual Forum: Palm Beach, FL November 12-14 | Eau Palm Beach cseforums.alexandergroup.com