1. The big vehicles market is growing like never before in the country at the present. All automakers certainly have at least one SUV or MPV in their portfolio. Mahindra seem to be enjoying a premium status when it comes to big cars with their practicality and efficiency. Tata has recently launched the face-lifted version of Safari Storme SUV with improved performance and features list. Let us check out how the new car holds its ground against the segment leader Mahindras XUV500.
2. When it comes to actual exterior dimensions, Tata Safari Storme measures more than Mahindra XUV500 and enjoys more ground clearance as well. However the latter has a longer wheelbase than the former. Safari Storme carries the body-on-frame architecture while XUV500 is built on a monologue frame. Both SUVs commands great road presence although one may feel that XUV500 is rather overdesigned at the front. Tata Safari Storme is very spacious inside and looks appealing with its black interiors lined with silver accents. Though less spacious, there is perfect space management in XUV500 and its interiors feel more premium.
3. So in terms of interiors, both the cars will impress the passengers in their own ways. Where XUV500 definitely outshines the Safari Storme is the features list. It is blessed with many innovative features like six airbags, GPS navigation, ABS, electronic stability program, hill descent control, cruise control, Bluetooth, automatic headlamps, rain-sensing wipers, start-stop micro hybrid system, tilt and telescopic steering, intellipark, ESP, cornering lights, mood lighting and so on. Safari Storme has most of the standard features but not as much as the XUV500 offers.
4. Storme is equipped with the all-new 2.2 litre, 16 valves DOHC CRDi diesel engine with VTT with 5speed Gearbox. The engine produces maximum power of 140 bhp at 4000 rpm and torque figures are 320 Nm at 1700-2700 rpm. There is a choice of two drive trims being offered 4X2 (LX, EX, VX) and 4X4 (VX). The mileage offered is 17 kmpl on highways and 14 km pl on city roads on an average. Mahindra XUV500 is equipped with a 2179cc mHawk type engine which produces a maximum power of 140 bhp at 3750 rpm and a maximum torque of 330 Nm at 1600-2800 rpm. The engine is based on a direct injection technology and is mated to a 6speed manual gearbox. It yields a mileage of 12 kmpl in cities and 14 kmpl on highways.
5. Tata Safari Storme comes at Rs 9.83-13.57 lakhs while XUV500 is slightly pricier in the range of Rs 10-15 lakhs. Price and mileage are two main factors that influence the minds if Indian car consumers and it is in these areas that the Tata car outshines the Mahindra SUV considerably. Read More : http://autoportal.com/newcars/tata/safari- storme/