Text of Documentary & Portrait Photography Course 1
1. DOCUMENTARY & PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY by Alexandra Copley
2. COURSE DESCRIPTION This is course for students wanting to gain basic understanding of documentary and portraiture photography. Students work on a semester long photo-documentary project on a subject of their choice. In class lectures will explore different genres of documentary photography including street photography, social documentary, photojournalism, the photo essay and environmental portraiture. Students will learn the fundamentals of digital photography from assignments and on fieldtrips to Mumbais unique neighborhoods. Camera experience is a plus, but not a pre-requisite. Nikon D40 SLR cameras are provided for students to use through the duration of the course. Students will need a digital camera for use throughout the course.
3. AIMS and OBJECTIVES The main objective of this course is to introduce the student to various forms of documentary photography and environmental portraiture culminating in a series of photographs ready for print or multimedia publication.
4. COURSE OUTLINE LOOK ON DESKTOP
5. WHO AM I?
B.A. & M.F.A. Photography
6. Professor of photography/online lecturer
7. TRAVEL & FREELANCE photographer
8. Worked in Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Central America, Canada, Europe (all over) and USA
10. www.favelite.com Paris Metro Project with Brazil
13. www.youramexica.blogspot.com book called Transmigrants
ALEXANDRA COPLEY AMERICAN PHOTOGRAPHER
14. PROVIDENCIA FAVELA, RIO DE JANEIRO
16. ROCINHA FAVELA, RIO DE JANEIRO
21. MAINE, USA
22. HANDS OF THE HARVEST
27. DHOBI GHAT, INDIA
32. WHAT IS DOCUMENTARY PHOTOGRAPHY?
33. The photographer attempts to produce truthful, objective, and usually candid photographyof a particular subject, most often pictures of people. Photography that has a connection to real situationsand that attempts to represent those situations with minimal distortion.
37. STREET PHOTOGRAPHY
38. Street photography tends to be more of a private and individual practice of photographing in public places. Usually, though not always, the interest is connected to urban life, since that's where so much happens on the street.
39. HENRI CARTIER-BRESSON
40. SOME STREETS
41. INDIA STREET PHOTOGRAPHY
42. WHAT IS SOCIAL DOCUMENTARY PHOTOGRAPHY?
43. The act of recording, with a camera, human beings in their natural (ieunposed) condition. With the purpose of bringing attention to a particular aspect of society in hopes of change.
44. SEBASTIAO SALGADO BAZILIAN PHOTOJOURNALIST
49. PEP BONET
52. WHAT IS A PHOTO ESSAY ?
53. A series of photographs that are intended to tell a story or evoke a series of emotions in the viewer. A photo essay will often show pictures in deep emotional stages. Photo essays range from purely photographic works to photographs with captions or small notes to full text essays with a few or many accompanying photographs. Also a slide show or similar presentation, possibly with spoken text or music.
54. EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI
55. MEDIA STORM.ORG
56. WHAT IS ENVIRONMENTAL PORTRAITURE ?
57. A portrait executed in the subject's usual environment, such as in their home or workplace, and typically illuminates the subject's life and surroundings. By photographing a person in their natural surroundings, it is thought that you will be able to better illuminate their character, and therefore portray the essence of their personality.
60. WHY IS HE POSING WITH A TREE?
61. WHAT IS THE FARM SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (FSA) ?
62. In 1935 as part of the New Deal in the United States, the Farm Security Administration (FSA) was an effort during the Depression to combat American rural poverty. The FSA adopted a goal of introducing America to Americans through photography and a group of talented photographers.
66. CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHERS
68. PUBLISHING YOUR WORK NEWPAPERS MAGAZINES YOUR OWN BLOG ONLINE MAGAZINES BOOKS (SELF-PUBLISHING LULU BLURB
69. More Mags In The Fray Blue Eyes Magazine Social Documentary.net Lunatic F-Stop Magazine Vewd Lens Culture & Interviews The Digital Journalist Media Storm (audio & visual) File Magazine Travel Photography Network Colours Magazine Deep Sleep See Saw Photo Eye Magazine Aperture.org Reuters
70. PDF TO READ The History of Documentary Photography Street Photography for the Purist
71. QUESTIONS TO ANSWER How do these photos make you feel ? What kind of compositions do you recognize? Do the images tell a story? When were the images taken? Who is being photographed? Where are they being photographed?
72. PLEASE CONNECT
73. CALL ME FOR INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION: 976 9842 976